Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

Whats the best way to discuss and make sure that your 17 year

Customer Question

What's the best way to discuss and make sure that your 17 year old teenage son uses protection if he's having sex with a girl ?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 3 years ago.

jenhelant :

Hi, If he insists on having sex then I do think it is good to discuss protection with him since at least he will be protected if he continues to have sex. The best way to discuss the use of protection is by being honest. Explain to him why it is important and the consequences if not used. Show all the different diseases that can occur without the use of condoms as well as risk of the person he is with getting pregnant. By showing the importance of condoms will make him make the right decision for himself. I would also discuss your beliefs on sex. Explain why it is best to wait and why not good emotionally to have mulitple partners even if protected. There is nothing wrong with sharing whatever thoughts and feeling you have about sex, but teaching him to make the right decision if he does choose to have sex. By showing him the consequences will help make good choices. Since you have found condoms it is a good sign that although he is having sex at least he is using protection, so your discussions have pid off thus far. Please let me know if I can be of further help to you.