earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

I have a son that is ready to go to college in about two weeks.

I have a son that is ready to go to college in about two weeks. I'm not sure if he's really ready to go as he shown little motivation as far as getting his things together to leave. Can you give me a suggestion as to how we might best asses his desire, readiness with a couple of questions Other then are you ready to go, are you excited about going, etc. etc. any thoughts?

earthsister :

Hello, I would like to help with your question today.

earthsister :

Is your son going to college nearby, or out of state?

earthsister :

If you all are close enough to visit the campus before he leaves, that would be great. It would help for him to get an idea before hand of where he will be frequenting around campus so that he does not get lost or confused. Even if he is attending out of state, most colleges have wonderful websites that can be used to explore the college campus in advance. From here, questions to ask him would be specific preparation questions, example: "ok, so where do you go to check in on your first day?"; "What do you need to bring with you to each of your classes?"( and help to make sure that he has all of his supplies; Go shopping with him if possible; And during the trip, throw in an extra incentive if possible, like a new phone).Make sure he knows where the student services building is, the bookstore, and other important destinations during his time at school; find out this information yourself, and quiz him on it. If he has recently graduated highschool, it can be very common to lack excitement about going on from about 13 years of continuos schooling from childhood, on to 4 more years of school as an adult. Encourage him to make this big step in his life, but also help him see the excitement that will come with transitioning from childhood to manhood with his journey to college. If you need any additional input or ideas, please message for me before you apply a rating, my goal is to provide excellent service. Thank you.