earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

I wish i could erase this situation but i cant. My 2 children

Customer Question

I wish i could erase this situation but i cant. My 2 children 11 and 12 where exposed to adult content / porn on my computer . My daughter seems to now get angry at me and confided in my wife that she and my son saw this content on my computer. I am not certain of what they saw but either way it cant be good. I have spoken to my son 11 that computers have adult content on them and thats why we set up parental controls and try to keep movies and tv programs age appropriate. I dont want to suger coat the issue , i want to fix it. How do I do this and maintain some dignity and respect so that i can continue to parent my children.
Thank you.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 3 years ago.

earthsister :

Hello, I would like to help with your question today.

earthsister :

I understand that your children have seen some adult content that you have on your computer, and they are a bit disturbed by it. One good thing to do, if you haven't done so already, is to apologize to them that they were exposed to the adult content, and assure them that you will do all that you can to make sure that it never happens again. You have done well to explain to your children that there is adult content on computers, now what is probably a more probing question to answer for them, is why that content was on your computer, as I am sure that your children have dealt with computers plenty of times before, and that this sounds to be the first time that they have encountered adult content on a computer. Your children are about the age to begin having conversations to them regarding sex; help them to understand that adult content such as what they witnessed is (or can be) a part of the adult sexual experience, and that it never should have been accessible to them, and that again you apologize to them. It also would help if you and your wife are able to sit and talk with the children about this, this way they understand that you two are on the same page about the issue, which will hopefully eliminate either of your children looking at you as the bad guy. If you do need any further advice, or have any other questions or comments, please message for mew before applying a rating; my goal is to provide an answer that will be of use. Thank you.

earthsister :

and excuse the typo please, I meant :"message for ME", thanks again.