Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

I am finding it difficult to toilet train my 2.5 years old

I am finding it difficult to toilet train my 2.5 years old son. I already tried encourgment, punishment and rewards.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

It is important to understand that a child usually does not have sphincter control until age 3. That doesn't mean that some children aren't able to be trained before 3. However, the physical control doesn't happen until 3. Some children are more obedient and will try to do what you tell them. I would not use punishment at his age since, as I said, he has no sphincter control yet. There are Books for Potty Training. You may want to try these.

"Potty Time With Abby":

"Potty Time With Elmo":

Sorry I was with a patient. Is there anything else you would like to ask? Just put DR. Shirley Schaye before your response and I'll will be the one to respond.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there, Is there anything else that you were wanting to ask me. I see that you have REPLIED this AM but there was no question formulated.