Dr. D. Brown
Dr. D. Brown, Psychologist
Experience:  21 Years as Psychotherapist & Successful Parent

My grandsons mother is diagnosed as borderline personality

Customer Question

My grandson's mother is diagnosed as borderline personality disorder and narcissistic personality disorder. My grandson is two. Yesterday the mother was "playing" with my grandson by having her hands around his neck and play punching him in the stomache. She evn play kneed him in his stomache. My grandson has been telling me that his mom "punches" him and hurts him. He never wants to go home even when he has been away from his mother for several days. I have not seen bruises on him. Should I be concerned?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 1 year ago.

earthsister :

Hello, I would like to help with your question today. If you feel that your grandson is being mistreated, whether physically or emotionally, you have the right to be concerned; especially if he tells you himself that his Mom punches and hurts him, he doesn't want to go back home, and you have seen what you have. You can anonymously contact Child Protective Services in your state, and make them aware of your concerns.

earthsister :

And please excuse the short response; if you do need further input before applying a rating, please do not hesitate to message for me, "earthsister". Thanks.

Customer:

Well. No that does not help me. Cps has taken her other 5 children and this one was placed with me from the time he was 3 weeks old till he was 15 months when the court returned him to his mother. SHe had tried to cut him out of her bely when she was 7 months pregnant. They told me that she is ok to raise him now? they also told me that it is within the law for any parent to emotionally "screw up" (their wording) their children. They would have to have physical evidence that he was in danger. CPS will not do anything until he has at least a broken bone.

Customer:

So, I guess I am asking. in view of the mother's mental illness, is this a manifestation of that. Is this an aggressive trait of the illness? Since she did this in front of me, does she feel this behavior is alright? Is it alright? Am I being overly concerned?

Customer:

3:13 PM

Customer:

If earthsister stepped out of the chat is she coming back?If not do I get my money back?

earthsister :

It will be best that I send you to an expert in psychology; I will "opt out", so that the proper professional can answer your question; I ask that you refrain from applying a rating, so that you can receive the answer that you need. Thank you for your patience.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. D. Brown replied 1 year ago.
Hello Friend,

I am going to try to help you with this answer. I am a licensed psychologist and very familiar with Borderline Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Yes, this can be typical behavior for someone with these conditions. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to control since she has custody of the children. The best thing you can do is to provide a loving environment for your grandson when he is with you. When he is older, you can educate him on how to protect himself from any physical discomfort from his mother when she "plays around". If you do feel he is being harmed, you should call the police because she will get the message that she needs to be held accountable. Talking to her is probably not going to help, but demonstrating safe care and loving behavior may. I hope that helps.

I appreciate a high rating if you are satisfied with your answer. If not, please email me at Dr. D Brown and I will work to provide you a satisfactory answer. Take good care.
Dr. D. Brown, Psychologist
Experience: 21 Years as Psychotherapist & Successful Parent