proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My second grader is a little behind with her reading.... She

Customer Question

My second grader is a little behind with her reading.... She is getting frustrated and is young for a second grader.... Should I consider holding her back.... She already has a tutor and is progressing but not as fast as I would like..... We read together every day but she is just a bit slow in this area.. Other then this her marks in school are very good. She is a mature well rounded kid.. I am concerned that is she does not pick it up she may slip in other areas... Input?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 1 year ago.

earthsister :

Hello, I would like to help with your question.

earthsister :

I think that a good place to start would be with he teacher and/or school counselor. Get input from them on how well they feel that she is improving and doing in regards XXXXX XXXXX peers.Ask them if they know of any programs or special recommendations to aid your daughter in her reading. If she is doing other wise well in her studies, and strengthening her reading is all that is truly needed, I would not myself think that holding her back would be necessary, however her teacher or even her tutor would probably be best able to access that.

Expert:  proexpert37 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I would be more than happy to assist you with this question as an elementary school teacher with over 20 years of experience. Second grade is usually an extension of the first grade standards and curriculum. I am sure that she most likely started having some problems that surfaced in first grade as well although they might not have been as pronounced.

What you need to do is conference with her teacher to see specifically what her problems are with reading. Is it comprehension? Is it phonemic awareness? Is it reading multisyllabic words? Is it blending words or segmenting them? Has her vision been checked lately? How are her listening skills? Is she easily distracted? You may want to visit the classroom so that you can see for yourself how the teacher teaches reading. Does the teacher use small groups or one on one instruction to reteach and differentiate instruction for struggling students?

As a parent, you have the right to ask your child's school for testing or an SST or School Study Team meeting. All schools call it something different. But basically, you, the teacher, an administrator, and other appointed school staff will all meet to discuss the best course of action for your daughter if her academic progress is far below or below grade level standards.

Holding your daughter back a year may not be the best course of action until all other interventions have been exhausted. A tutor is great but the school should be implementing accommodations as well which you will need to specifically ask for.

Hope this was helpful. Have a great day! Glad to assist you !
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor