Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

We have discovered our 15 year old son doing marijuana. This

We have discovered our 15 year old son doing marijuana. This has developed
in conjunction with a new friendship. We are concerned about how to manage
this friend - if we ban him from seeing him will this backfire? Should we talk to
the other parents?

jenhelant : Hi,
jenhelant : I am so sorry that this is going on with your son. I agree with you that if you ban them from seeing each other then it could just make things worse. I would try the best you can to have them see each other only in your presence. I would talk with the friend's parents because I think that if it were the other way around you would want his parents to tell you. This will not only make them aware if they are not, but will give the opportunity for the both of you to work together and finding a solution. They will also not be able to lie to one of you and try to manipulate the situation since you both will be aware. I believe what lead your son to this could be his depression as well as influences of others. Nevermind the two together, which makes it even harder to resist. I would also try sitting down and talk to him about the risks involved. Some young people think that it is no problem and innocent. I would suggest researching on the internet what this does to your body and mind then presenting it to him. This drug also can lead to harder drugs when this is not enough and can lead to serious health and mental issues as well as fatality. I would prove this to your son as well to get him thinking in case he thinks it is innocent. Taking him to to a counselor if the other did not work is also an idea as well as a treatment program. Some counselors may not be a good fit and you may need to switch until you find one he is comfortable with. This can help him not only with the marijuana, but with his deeper issues that is causing him to turn to it. Some other suggestions would be trying to get him involved in healthy activities, so he has less time on his hands. Also, inviting him somewhere with you for one on one time just to do something that he would enjoy with you or his father even you both. Getting on his level and having a good time can change his outlook on things just as keeping him busy in healthy activities. I hope this was helpful and I wish him well. Please let me know if I can be of further help.