Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent

"DR. PAIGE" Are you online?

Are you online?
I am
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had a question. My question is this: When parents never expected a pregnancy to happen and they don't get an abortion due to religious reasons nor do they want to give the baby up for adoption because of pride and because what would their families and friends think and so forth, are the chances very high that the parents will most likely NOT teach, correct, and discipline this child like they did to the children that they did intend to have? Are the chances very high for the parents to look at this child and treat this child as just an obligation only? Are there any statistics that answer this question regarding situations like this? Thank you for your assistance.

This question is difficult to answer. There are no amount of statistics or studies which will say for certain how parents will act in a situation such as this. It is completely about the personalities of the people involved. The possibilities are on both extremes. There are people who will have the baby, not expecting anything and once they see the baby, absolutely fall in love and that baby becomes the best thing that ever happened to them. The opposite can also be true as well. So the best I can answer your question is that chances are not very high that any of those things would happen, but they could be. I know you are looking for a more solid answer, but in this case, I really can't give you one and be honest about it. If I knew the people involved that you were speaking about on a personal or professional level, I could give you a better answer. It just isn't fair for me to guess what their response would be in this scenario.