earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

My daughter isabella, just turned 3 years old last week. I

My daughter isabella, just turned 3 years old last week. I have some concerns about her speech, and behavior. when i ask her question like, whats your name? or how old are you?She just repeats the question, that goes for pretty much any question i ask her. Like if I ask her if she wants juice, she says "you want juice". Everything is " You want " instead of " I want juice" She doesn't really have conversations with me eiether, which worries me bc all of the other kids in her mothers day out class are speaking so well! I know they say you shouldn't compare to other children, but its hard not to. Isabella can say anything that you ask her to say, but its like she has trouble forming sentences or possibly processing the question?? She has been on a waiting list for a few months now to see a child developmental specialst, But i am eager to find out the problem so i can try and help her to succeed! Any advice would be great!

earthsister :

Hello, I would like to assist you today.

Customer:

Hi, Great thank you, XXXXX XXXXX would be great.

earthsister :

You have a very valid concern about your daughter's speech development, and at the same time it is possible that she is progressing just fine. You have taken the proper initial step in getting a recommendation for a specialist that can help your daughter. Now what seems to be the hold up is having to wait. If you are eager for answers sooner than you can wait for the list to open, I certainly suggest seeking outside your doctor's recommendation for a specialist or speech therapist that can best help your daughter. Good Therapy.org has a great platform, from which you can search by zip code (and they are international as well) for the therapist that will be most helpful to you: http://www.goodtherapy.org/

earthsister :

This is only a suggestion as there are numerous resources that can be utilized to find help for your daughter, however I do agree that starting with her pediatrician is the best first choice.

earthsister :

Meanwhile, I suggest that when you do ask your daughter a question and she repeats it, give her an answer choice, example: Do you want juice? (she repeats the question), and answer for her "Yes", as she will probably repeat the answer back as well. Use this method to help get her accustomed to the order of asking a question in order to get an answer. Keep reading and talking to your daughter to help further her understanding of conversation. It really helps to use different voices for the characters in the book, so that your daughter can see that the conversation is between two different people.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be waiting too much longer, but i also like to get more than one opinion. I just worry bc i dont think she is speaking at an age appropriate level. She was evaluated for autism about one year ago and she screened negative. She sometimes babbles words that dont even make sense. She is very affectionate and makes eye contatct when spoken to, so i dont think she is autistic!

earthsister :

I greatly understand your concerns, and I agree that getting a second (or even third opinion) can never hurt, this way you get as much input from as many different professionals as possible to make the best choice for your daughter.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice!