earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

My daughter is a month old & it seems she is fussy all the

Customer Question

My daughter is a month old & it seems she is fussy all the time & hungry...I breadtfeed so I was wondering if I should switch to formula since she doesn't ever seem satisfied. Also r there any tips for her constant fussiness? Thanks
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 1 year ago.

earthsister :

Good evening, I would be more than happy to assist you today.

Customer : Thanks
earthsister :

It is a very common concern with breatfeeding mothers on whether or not their babies are getting enough, because unlike formula, or milk served by bottle, you can't tell exactly how much your baby is getting. I myself am a breastfeeding mother of twins; and I sincerely urge you to continue to breastfeed your baby, as long as you are physically able to do so. Breastmilk is a lot lighter than formula or cows milk, it is designed to be easily digested by your baby, allowing for all the nutrients of it to be used by baby. Because of this, breastfed babies, especially ones as young as your daughter need to be fed between 8 and 12 (or more) times per 24 hours

earthsister :

You want to be sure that you burp your daughter after each feeding; and you may even want to do so in the middle of each feeding (between switching breasts) to assure that gas is not what is causing her fussiness

earthsister :

Also most importantly, be very conscious of the foods that you eat; as what you consume as a breatsfeeding mother also goes to baby

earthsister :

Drink plenty of water, eat fruits and vegetables (although you may want to stay away from citris or acidy foods) and definitely no caffeine

earthsister :

If you find that none of this helps to change your daughter's fussiness, definitely bring up the concern to her pediatrician at your next visit, as he or she can check for any other health issues that may be the cause of your daughter's fussy behavior.

Customer : Thank you for all your help & suggestions.... I am going to document everything in my food diary & her fussiness & feeding schedule & if it doesn't clear up in a week then I will take all my documentation to the doctors and see if they have advice based in my recorded regiment!!!!!
earthsister :

That sounds like a great idea; keeping a diary. If you do need any further insight or resources, please do not hesitate to ask; I will be more than happy to help.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.