Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

My nephew is very hard to control, its like he does anything

My nephew is very hard to control, it's like he does anything for attention even if he gets in trouble. We have tried many different methods of punishment but none seem to work; we even tried reverse psycology but he is a smart boy to be 3yrs. What can we do to effectively punish him?
This could be what they call "the terrible twos". Some toddlers are more difficult than others and is normal, but I understand how frustrating this can be.
It seems like you have tried things that haven't worked, but you did do the right things. The key is consistency. He needs to know that you are serious. For example when he does not listen do not get angry or upset just lift him up and put him in a time out for a few minutes. If he gets up physically put him back until he stays. You may literally need to do this 50 times before he stays. It can be very exhausting for the first few weeks, but then from there it will be smoother sailing. After you continue to put him in the time out when he does stay make him stay for about 2 to 3 minutes then let him get up and explain to him what he did wrong not too much because he is very young, so need to keep it simple. Consistency is the key. It is difficult to discipline every thing because sometimes we are used to the behavior, tired, or busy, but if we do discipline each time then they will see that they can not get away with things and will behave. When toddlers see sometimes they get away with it and sometimes not then they will play on that and manipulate. Children are very smart.

Rewarding positive behavior and redirecting attention to positive things are also good. Another important thing is to not give attention to the negative behavior. Just continue to put in time out, but do not talk. Toddlers enjoy attention and subconsciously even try to get negative attention. When the time out is finished is the time to talk.

Parenting is hard work, but stay strong. You all will see the fruits of your hard work. Now at this age is the best time to do this. They learn quickest and is the easiest. The older they get it becomes more difficult.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you need any clarification or further help.