KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

My son is 5 years old and today the teacher told me that he

My son is 5 years old and today the teacher told me that he has a problem engaging. which means that when she gives the students instructions she has to repeat herself twice or more for him to absorb. Academically he's very good, well adjusted with other kids and plays well with them, however sometimes he doesn't know how to communicate with them. he's an only child and his father is away. we used to live with my in-laws a year ago but we moved to our own home since March of this year. Should I be worried about him or is this normal for his age?
You write that your son has good academic skills. That makes me wonder if he isn't bored in class. He may be getting into the habit of day dreaming while the teacher is talking. Being bright might also make it hard to communicate with other children at times. You might want to ask him what he's thinking about when the teacher is giving instructions. Another idea is to have him draw a picture of kids in a classroom and ask him to tell you what the kids are thinking. To help him focus better you could give him a small reward each day the teacher tells you he's able to get the instruction with the rest of the class.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX feel that his behaviour is less mature than other kids his age.

A lot is expected of children his age, and boys do tend to mature a bit later than girls. I would try the reward system for a bit. Often the kids who are less mature will have a developmental spurt and catch up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just one more thing. The teacher also told me that sometimes he's not aware of his surrounding. Could that be because of "daydreaming"

It could be day dreaming, but it might also be a symptom of epilepsy. This would be a good thing to check with your doctor about.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Maybe I missquoted her. No what she meant is that he doesnt seem to concentrate on what's going on around him. It is also worth mentioning that he is learning in English which is not his mother tongue

In that case, it is most likely day dreaming, being lost in his own thoughts.