Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

Son is bright but constantly procrastinates about finishing

Son is bright but constantly procrastinates about finishing school work. He knows the consequences but often times cannot make himself do the work.

I would like to help...How old is he?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He's now 19, but still struggles
Some people are procrastinators by nature. It does not mean they can not change, but they would need to admit the problem and want to change in order to change. He may not see it as a problem.

If you are concerned I would say sit down and have a heart to heart conversation with him. Let him know the consequences with this and why you are concerned. Also, tell him that the consequences will get worse as he grows and his responsibilities grow, so you want to advise him that way he will not need to go through such a difficult time.

He will if he hasn't yet feel the consequences and hopefully in time he will change. Besides you talking with him he is 19, so it is difficult for you to do much. Hopefully in time he will realize and change.

There is something else you can do if he still lives with you. Let him know that even though he is over 18 he is still living with you and you would like all school work done on time before other things. Responsibilities get priority before the rest. Let him also know that you are there for him to support him and help him.

Try showing him ways to make the best use of his time that way he will see if he plans correctly he will get his work done on time and also have free time to do what he wishes. Maybe helping him plan will show him a new way of doing things that he has never thought of before, but make sure you tell him you are there to help and offer suggestions and up to him if he wants to take it or not. If you demand him to do it "your" way then he can become resentful, so show him in a fun helping manner.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if he continues to do poorly despite all of the above suggestions, most of which I've tried. What's next?
If he continues to do poorly than all you can do is continue what you have been doing. Sometimes it can take years to see the fruits of your labor, but consistency is important and not giving up on him. Mix that along with also giving him space to make his mistakes. He will also learn from trial and error. Most of the times it is the experience that causes us to grow.