Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
13551071

My oldest Grandson who will be 5 at the end of December is

My oldest Grandson who will be 5 at the end of December is tunring into a Monster. Here is the report my daughter received from the home daycare provider:
Today was a rough day, i lost track of how many times Scott went to timeout! He lost his priviledges of the park, red light snack, and iPod/iPad after continously beating up his twin brothers who will be 2 in November. He spent the day hitting, stealing everything from Cole and Luke and then he set a booby trap at the bottom of the stairs so the dogs could not come up and we could not go down. I warned him after the 3rd time out if he hit his brothers one more time we would not go to the park and it just went downhill from there. I just had him go to his room and told him he could just stay there until he was done playing with his privates because it's not polite to do that in front of other people and I am done asking him to go the the bathroom or his room to do that.

I know he has had jealousy issues from the time his brothers were brought home. I know he is a good kid, but we are at our wits end! What are we not doing right?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like he could be jealous and doing this to get attention. Some children act out even to get negative attention.

If you don't already try including him in helping out with his siblings and try giving him responsibility to feel like the big boy helper. This can cause him to feel responsible. Explain to him that he is the big brother of his younger siblings and needs to watch over them and protect them. This could change his thinking to being a helper and getting attention for that instead of the negative attention.

When he does something that is not right continue to put him in time out and or take his privileges away. Do not scream or get angry. Don't even say anything. Don't give him any extra attention not even negative due to this behavior. He will then strive for that. Also, it is important to be consistent with the time outs and discipline. If you let him get away with it even once he will feel that he is able to do this and get away with it. Sometimes when we get used to a certain behavior we may get used to it and not realize when the child is doing it or we may be too tired from all the energy they already took from us, but it is very important we be very consistent. That is key.

Then when he finishes his time out you can explain to him what he did and why it was not good and how he can do something different.
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience: I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.