DocRob
DocRob, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Doctor & Father

Is there a great on-line learning program that we could start

Is there a great on-line learning program that we could start with our two toddlers? We have twins who are turning 29 months old, and we are interested in some type of free, or inexpensive home-schooling on-line program that we could start now with them that would give us a structured learning program. We are Americans who have been travel around the world with them. We were in Barcelona this past spring, Paris this past summer, and we will be in Cyprus this fall. We have them enrolled in swim and music classes, and they have many outdoor activities, but thought best to start a structured learning program with them at home.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  DocRob replied 1 year ago.

robertsykes :

Welcome to Just Answer. I truly hope that you will be able to benefit from my many years experience both in paediatrics, and as a father! I will aim to provide sensible, common sense help, but I need you to read and agree to the contents of this paragraph.

This conversation cannot be used as a substitute for a face to face patient-doctor consultation and is for educational purposes only. Whilst I may give suggestions for you to look at, I cannot diagnose or recommend treatment online and I cannot be held responsible for the consequences derived from the information given here, under any circumstances.

Finally, I would be very grateful if you could rate my answer when completed; I strive for level 3 or above in this but if you feel that you my advice warrant’s negative feedback, please remain in contact with me to see if we can resolve any issues before leaving the feedback. If you still feel that my answer was poor and that negative feedback is warranted, I will then fully respect your wishes.

If you continue this conversation, you are accepting these as our “terms”.

robertsykes :

I still use resources from both of these for my children. My mother in law, who is an infant teacher (special needs focus) also rates this site, and recommended it to me.

robertsykes :

You can select according to age range or UK syllabus "key stage". This is fairly universal.

robertsykes :

A good site for "learning games" that our local schools recommend is http://www.friv4school.com/ and my kids love it.

robertsykes :

I have made assumptions throughout this answer that your toddlers have no developmental problems and that they have access to a laptop or PC with you. If you would like to correct me, or ask me further questions, please do so; I would be delighted to try to help further. If you have been happy with this answer, please rate it highly (you can still ask me follow up questions!)

DocRob, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Doctor & Father
Expert:  DocRob replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  DocRob replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I just wanted to add that, given the ages of your children, I would stick to non-formal education in the form of the above type sites. An overly formalized education, according to almost all educationalists is both unnecessary, and can actually damage future development in this age group. Toddlers need to focus on learning their social skills and motor skills. Enthusiastic parents who talk about things and encourage an inquiring mind, usually reap the rewards! If you are still traveling when they are aged 4-6, formalized tutoring should start then.

Best wishes

Rob