Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

I am in a complete mess over my relationship with my son.

Customer Question

I am in a complete mess over my relationship with my son. I have become very depressed over it
I think it is terminal.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I am so sorry that you are going through this. Can you tell me a little bit about what happened leading up to him banning you from the hospital?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I spoke to the doctors about his health for 2 reasons I wanted to know as his mum and also the hospital had made serious errors in the past and I was concerned. He allowed me speak to the doctors because I approached the doctor first who said we cannot speak until we have your son's permission. The doctor walked into the room behind me as I asked my son so he had no choice but to say yes.

I spoke to the doctor and my son's initial response at the end of the meeting was 'that was useful' however it then descended into the usual row of not asking his permission.

He is right of course but I was desperate to find out if they had a plan. My son is very close to me shares everything and then goes off the deep end when it suits him

I have now got gastritis and am on sick leave due to the feelings of absolute helplessness, hurt and fear for his health problems..

I keep crying.

I am so sorry about this and i completely understand how you feel as a Mom. It is completely normal to want to know what its happening with your sons health. I don't think you did anything wrong. I don't understand why he does not want you at the hospital. You say that the two of you are close. Could it be that he doesn't want you there in order for you not to worry. I would say trying talking with him and ask him why he does not want you there. That will give you a better understanding of why he is doing this. Let him know that you would like to be there to support him. After you speak with him i think that may open some doors in order for the two of you to work things out. I hope this was helpful, but please let me know if I can help further and if there is anything you would like to share for me to help deeper. In future if you need to come back here you can always request me in your title. I am here to help and support you.