Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
13551071

Hi there; I have a question about my friend, she has a 4 year

Hi there; I have a question about my friend, she has a 4 year old boy in pre school and is acting out, and laughs about everything when he is bad, he doesn't listen to her, and talks alot, the teachers and mom tell him not to do certain things that are wrong, but he still doesn't listen, seems he doesnt care what so ever. what can she do?
Hi, I understand how this can be frustrating. She can start by taking privileges and things away. As well as time outs. When he misbehaves give him a time out for a few minutes and if he gets up put him back in the time out until finished. You can also let him know that if he does not behave his toys will be taken away. The key is consistency. No matter how he may still not listen and act out. His mom needs to continue to discipline. If she does one time and not the next he will know this and not take her seriously, so consistency is crucial. In addition, when he is not behaving she can try to steer his attention to other things that are more positive. So instead of saying "don't do that" try something like come look at this book or this book is so colorful etc....try and have him focus on other things. There are also books in the library for kids that talk about different aspects of "being good", such as manner, temper tantrums, sharing, and etc. There made for children to learn the right and wrong about these behaviors. Your friend can get those and read it to him as well. Hope this was helpful and the best to her!