Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
13551071

My son is an adult and has defiance to what ever I tell him

Customer Question

My son is an adult and has defiance to what ever I tell him with intention to suggest answeres to social anxiety issues he has. He does not like my answers but I keep suggesting him what he should be doing ? I feel he could do better if he listens to my point of view positively. He obviously does not like it and we end up in altercation each time we talk.

What should be my approach to deal with him?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am sorry that this is happening with you and your son. Unfortunately even though we think we may have the right answers for our children they may not think so. We are their parents and some adult children rather hear it from someone else even before their own parents. Also, even though we want the best for them they need to learn the hard way in order to appreciate advice. The best thing you can do I'd just let him know that you will not give your opinion any longer since it upsets him, but that you are always there if he needs you. Also, that you would be more then willing to advise him and give him your opinion when he wanted or needs. I think this would be the best approach that easy when he meds you he will come to you just as he has done in the past. However, if you keep giving when he sites not think he needs it will only lead to arguing and him not taking not maybe even listening to the advice. Even though it may be difficult to do this it is the best thing for both of you and for your relationship.
Hi, I noticed that you have not rated my answer yet. If you plan to rate me anything less than positive please let me know, so we can work together until you are satisfied. I am only compensated with your positive rating and my goal is customer service.