Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

Is hitting a child when doing something wrong neccessary? I

Is hitting a child when doing something wrong neccessary? I know a child whom is hard to teach any manners and likes to talk back.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
No, hitting or spanking is not necessary to teach a child proper behavior. Instead of hitting the child should be presented with good role models (adults and children who are mannerly and respectful). In addition the rules can be set by the adult (i.e., no talking back) and a consequence can be provided if the rule is broken (i.e. sit in corner for 5 minutes).

But best of all is to reward child for NOT breaking the rule. For instance, if he goes one hour without talking back he will get a coin in a special jar. The time should be gradually lengthened for getting the reward (the whole morning...then the whole day). This is called token economy. Eventually the concept of "a fine" is introduced whereby the child gives up a coin for breaking the rule.

Hitting a child is telling the child it is okay to hit....does not make sense.

Hope this helps...