JohnMichaels,MS,LPC, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years working with familes and 6 children of my own.

what is the best way to stop smoking pot

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. Please note, this is not therapy, but information. I do hope I can help you though.

I am sure that can be frustrating. It is first good that you have made the decision to stop. Don't give up. I do want to help, but I would like to ask some questions first. How long have you been smoking? What was going on in your life when you started? Have you tried to quit before and been somewhat successful? How did you manage that limited success? Why do you want to quit now?

I know that is alt of questions, but the answers to them will give me a better feel for where you are and maybe how I can help you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

about 30yrs ...devoriced parents and not a good one it was about the time i saw my dad last .yes ive tried to quit before but only lasted a few months.i had no choice for work.just want to get heathly and i mite be donating a kidney

Divorce of parents is a very common trigger. It is amaziing how many will blame peer pressure, but can ussually trace their frist experience to such a traumatic even tin their life. It sounds like you have good reason to quit. You are right, health is a good reason. It sounds as if you are doing it ouut of compassion too. This is all good. Motivation is important.

I hope you will hang with me, because I do have at least a couple more questions before I answer you.

1) What are some things yoiu might be doing iF you weren't addicted to pot?

2) What is your source of pot? Not asking for details, just a general idea,

3) I know you say you quit because of work. How did you do it though? What triggered your relapse?

i really do want to help you, but the more info I have about your situation, the capable I am liable to be to do so.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it dosent stop me from doing anything just get from other people that smoke did for 4 months started again because i was told i wsnt going to get tested

I am assuming you know there are no magical cures. Your determination is key. Keep trying. Here are some steps that might be helpful:

!) Decide you are going to quit and remember why. You say it is bad for your health and you need to quit in order to maybe donate your kidney. Also, we might add it is illegal and it is expensive. Remind yourself of thesE reasons over and over.

2) Find new friends. I asked that questIon for a reason. I am afraid as long as you are around it, you are going to smoke it. I know this is tough. It all depends on how bad you want to quit. At least limit your contact with these guys to what is necessary. This is probably the toughest step but the most important.

3) Find support. I am assuming you have friends or family encouraging you to quit. ask them to help you by keeping an eye on you and encourAging you daily. There are also ussuallt support groups available...even online. You might also consider counseling. It souns as if you smoke to relieve stress. Maybe a counselor could help you find good alternatives. Just a thought...

4) Find something else to occupy your time. Don't replace this Addiction with another, buT find a hobby. I am not sure what your interests are but find something to occupy your down time.

5) You might talk to your doctor or therapist about prescribed mediCation. I am reluctant to mention this but it does sound as if you are self medicating. I would only try this if all else didn't work.

I hope this was helpful. More than anything , don't give up. if you slip up don't throw in the towel. any questions. please feel free to ask.

Thank you!

Hi! I appreciate you allowing me to help you maybe arrive at a solution the other day. I hope I was helpful. Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

John Michaels, MS, LPC