earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

how to comfort after a breakup

Customer Question

how to comfort after a breakup
Category: Parenting
Expert:  mitchell_3845 replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I am guessing you are asking how to comfort a child after the parents have broke up. You didn't give much detail so this can be a little hard but if this is for a child then the best thing you can do is just show the child that both parents still love them and that has not changed. In a parent break up most children feel it's their fault and as a parent it our job to make sure they know that it isn't. Make sure the child still spends time with each parents and both let the child know that things are going be ok. Things will be different but they will also be the same. It's best not to fight in front of the child, don't talk bad about the other in front of the child, just try to keep things a calm and normal as possible. Most of it is just showing the child that they are still loved and that things will not be bad just a new start in another direction.

I hope I helped and if this was not what you were asking please let me know I will do my best to help.

Expert:  earthsister replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I will try to approach the answer to your question from another view point; since I see that part of what you have already tried is "listening", I would assume that your child is the one who has broken up from a relationship. Being able to comfort your child after a break up may depend on several factors, including your child's age, gender, and how long he or she was in the relationship. If your child is younger, as in teens or below, let him or her know that having difficulties and break ups in a relationship is a part of life; that he or she is young, and has a lifetime to meet the right person who will be there for them through thick and then. Encourage your child to find comfort in his or her friends, and enjoying his or her youth while they have it (because it does not last long). If you are dealing with the break-up of an adult or older child, ensure your child that he or she is a worthy individual, and that the right person for them is out there somewhere. What is important for he or she is to be ready for Mr. or Mrs. right when they do come along, by being mentally, physically, and financially stable on his or her (your child's) own. Encourage older children as well to escape the pain of a break up with enjoying time with his or her friends and family. Regardless to whether or not your child is male or female, young or old, do continue to listen, and be there to give advice and support when needed. If you do need any further insight on your query, you can message for "earthsister", and I will be more than happy to help.