earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

We have a 28 month old son that is pretty much potty trained

We have a 28 month old son that is pretty much potty trained when it come to peeing in the potty, but he still poops in his pants. We have dropped the diapers in hopes that he will become completely potty trained quicker this way. Our questions is how do we handle the times when he poops in his pants, even when we feel it is coming, but he prefers to go into his pants?

We try to talk him out of going in his pants, but he get stubborn and upset when we do this. We have no problem cleaning up after him, but are wondering how best to handle the issue.

Should we explain to him he should not have done this and needs to start using the potty, and let him know he is a big boy, or be a little stricter and tell him he should not be going in his pants and going in his pants is bad? One way we try a patronizing approach were the other we are doing a stricter approach, and we are not sure if one is better.

earthsister :

Good morning, I would like to help with your question today.

earthsister :

Your son is still very young, and not being completely potty trained at this age is completely normal. Rather than strictness or punishment to encourage your son to have his bowel movements in the potty, give him encouragement, and praise for his efforts to do so. Do continue to talk to him, and let him know that big boys and girls don't go in their pants they use the potty; but associating having a bowel movement in his pants with being "bad" could work against encouraging him, and make him try to hide or be ashamed when he does make a mistake. If h doesn't make it to the potty, don't make a big deal about it, simply remind him that big boys have to make it to the potty, and assure him that it's ok, and that he can try again next time (and maybe if he does, he can get a prize); Use rewards instead of punishments as a way to encourage your son to use the potty.

earthsister :

My twins aren't on the potty yet, but if your son is an Elmo and Sesame Street fan like my girls are, he should love the book, "Potty Time With Elmo," and there is also a video and an Elmo potty time doll available as well: