Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

My 6 yr old said he likes to see boys naked. I am a single

Customer Question

My 6 yr old said he likes to see boys naked. I am a single mom and don't know if this is a sign that he is homosexual or if it is cause he doesn't have a guy in his life that he has seen naked really. I mean he has his uncles but they aren't really ever naked in front of him. Should I be concerned?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.
To be honest with you I would be concerned if he says he enjoys it. If he was joking around as kids do and did once I would not be concerned. However, if he is serious about it and said it on more than one occassion I would be concerned and look out for more signs. It does not mean that he will be homosexual, but it is something that should be kept an eye on closely. It is good that you ask him questions and tell him that you will not be mad. That is good and would encourage you to continue without being too pushy. Also, you can look into if there was any chance he could have been sexually abused. You can ask him if anyone ever showed their privates to him or if anyone ever touched his private while letting him know that you will not be mad. If someone did, which hopefully not they usually threaten the kids to not tell or bribe them, so it is important to convince your son that it is safe to tell you. Ofcourse I hope none of this happened, but it would be good to look into this since he is having this issue and sometimes children who are sexual abused have issues that appear in different concerning ways. After some research and keeping an eye on it for yourself I would recommend counseling if you do not see an improvement or if you see other issues develop. Even if you see this staying the same or getting worse. Counseling can get to the root of this. Another thing you can do is ask him questions on if and how he looks at boys naked. This will help give you information on what extent he goes to in order to see them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked him if he has ever seen a boy naked and he said no and this was his first time saying he likes to see boys naked. However when ever there is a guy on tv he says things like I like him he is cool because of his muscles.
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.
So, then I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. He may like it because he wants to be like that since he thinks it is cool. Since there is no father in the home he may look outside to other men. Since you are a woman he can not identify with you for his appearance, so it sounds like he looks at other men in order to identify. Lots of little boys like to be strong and have big muscles. So they see people on TV and think its so cool. I know my 7 year old is always showing me his muscles. It does not sound concerning right now and what he is saying about the people on TV seems normal and innocent. If you are worried just keep an eye on it to see if it stays in this direction or takes a turn. You can then use the advice I gave previously if you see it heading in a different direction. However, as for now by the sounds of that I would not worry.
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience: I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I figured it might be an innocent comment but needed a second option that isn't family :)
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.
No problem! Always better to double check. It was my pleasure. All the best! Jennifer