JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef-
JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef-, Teacher
Experience:  K-12 teacher w/ licenses from NV, FL and OH
66519654

My 3 year old son has exposed himself at preschool a couple

My 3 year old son has exposed himself at preschool a couple of times. He also occasionally pulls his pants down at home and says "look at my pee pee!" Should I be concerned or is this somewhat normal?

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

He is at the age where this is common. Coming out of potty training and moving into the understanding of the difference between private and public behavior related to sexuality.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

I wouldn't be over concerned about the behavior if he is not going beyond exposing himself. If he is doing things while nude or ignores the instructions of adults and is looking for a large amount of attention while nude. I would continue to have the conversation about what is private behavior and what is public behavior. I would also have the conversation with him about not touching others or allowing others to touch him.

Customer:

he seems to be very attention seeking lately although I feel he gets plenty so I thought that is probably all it is but I am just concerned as any parent would be. I just recently got remarried and am hoping it has something to do with changes in his life.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

This could definitely be related to attention seeking behavior. If he has associated the behavior with attention, then I may agree with your assessment. It is not uncommon behavior for a child of his age and I would be over concerned about the behavior. I would have the talk with him that there are certain things that are not to be done in public. The fine line, I understand is not making him feel ashamed of himself.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

I would of course keep an eye on the behavior, I would make sure that you are speaking to the daycare often about the behavior. You want them to realize that you are working on correcting it, they should also be able to give you ideas and support on how best to deal with the situation.

Customer:

ok, thank you for the advice

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

If the behavior continues and you are confident that there is no underlying issues, I would suggest given consequences to the behavior when done in public. I would focus on the public behavior more then I would focus on the behavior at home.