mitchell_3845
mitchell_3845, Child Care
Experience:  I am mom of 4 great children. I spent 5yrs working in a Daycare and I have a little medical back training.
9552504

Hi I have a 2 & 1/2 year old and a 15 months baby and I dont

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2 & 1/2 year old and a 15 months baby and I dont seem to keep either of them happy How do I split my time between them?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.

earthsister :

Good morning, I would like to assist you today.

earthsister :

I certainly do understand the difficulty of being able to split your time and attention between two infants (or young children); Along with being a home day care provider, I am the Mom of a 12 and 11 year old, where my 12 year old was 1 and half when his brother (now 11) was born, and now, I have twin 1 and a half year old girls, and yes I do concur, it is not easy, however it is possible, it just takes continued effort, and finding what works for your children.

earthsister :

What helps is to have a spouse, family member, or close friend that you trust, who can take time here and there to help you balance your responsibilities. This person can help you in caring for the children, as well as doing other things around the home so that you can focus your attention to them. It is important for you to be able to spend time with both your children together, give them both individual time and attention with you, and to be able to get a moment or two away to yourself on a daily basis. At times like this, it really helps to have someone you trust, including a good daycare where you may be able to drop them to for an hour or two when needed.

earthsister :

When dealing with the two of your children, be sure to keep them both involved. For example, when you have to change or dress your 15 month old, have your 2 year old help by bringing you clothes, diapers, or other items that you need. Congratulate your 2 year old when he or she helps, and let him/her know how proud you are and how much of a great big brother/sister he or she is being. Use the time that you have with both of your children to encourage both of them to help and share with one another. While you are technically still dealing with an infant and a toddler, in no time your 15 month old will catch up to your 2 year old, and it will almost be like having twins (I know from my oldest 2)

earthsister :

Be sure to incorporate plenty of toys and games into your daily interactions, that encourages your 2 year old to teach his little brother or sister; Your 2 year old can also help you keep little brother/sister entertained by singing songs, dancing, playing instruments, or other activities. Use books to help teach your two year old about being an older sibling, there are several available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=big%20sister%20baby%20brother&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Abig%20sister%20baby%20brother&page=1

earthsister :

I have a wealth of other thoughts, ideas, and experiences to share on this one, but I don't want to overload you before you can respond. Please let me know if you have any other questions, or are looking for further insight, and I will be more than happy to assist you. Thanks, "earthsister"

Customer:

Thank you Unfortunately my mom lives in SA and we have no close family here in the uk. yes I do involve my daughter in changing her sister and I give her lots of attention when her siste is asleep but when I try to give her sister attention she starts to play up

Customer:

oops sorry did I say 15months I ment 15weeks

Expert:  mitchell_3845 replied 2 years ago.

Good Afternoon, I hope your day is going well.

It is so much fun having children close in age because is always gives them someone to talk to and play with, but it can also be very hard because they both want all your attention. Its not always easy to make one on one time for each child, trust me I know I have 4 children. Never fear though because there is a lot of time in the day to try and give them each some time.

First I'm sure they both still take naps and that can be a great thing for you. I know some quit time for mom is important too but nap time is a great time to slept up a little so that each child can get a little time with you. So instead of putting then down for nap at the same time put the child that sleeps the longest to bed first and while that child is napping spend about 30-45mins with the other child before you put them to bed. Once they are both asleep you get your alone time and then when the first child wakes up you can spend one on one time with them while the other finishes there nap.

Another idea is even though they are still young let them help you bake. I know I know this is a mess waiting to happen and it really isn't one on one time but if they are helping they are still having fun and don't really care if its just them and mommy or them, mommy and sister. It is also a great way to help them bond.

It will never be easy to try and make yourself into 2 people for 2 kids but you can be 1 great person to 2 great kids that will love you even if they don't always have all your attention. So don't worry so much about trying to make one on one time for them, just spending time with them and showing them that you love them will make them happy.

Something else I know my kids love is to dance. Even if you are just jumping around being silly, it's loads of fun

mitchell_3845, Child Care
Experience: I am mom of 4 great children. I spent 5yrs working in a Daycare and I have a little medical back training.
Hello, excuse me for not being able to respond immediately, as the 2nd answer is from another professional. Now understanding that your second born is 15 weeks old, this brings a whole new twist to the story. This is definitely the time to help your 2 year old realize the benefits and joy that comes with being a big sister. Your 2 year old is probably a little jealous of baby sister, considering that she was once the baby. I see that you say there is no family or friends really around you, but do see if there are any groups or activities, maybe at the library that are geared toward toddlers, maybe this way you can help your toddler meet new friends her age which will be of help. Be sure to give your 2 year old as many responsibilities as she can take and that she likes; encouraging your 2 year old to be a big help to you while you care for her little sister will help minimize the jealousy. Let her make choices, such as what she wants to wear, eat, do, or even what she thinks her little sister should wear. Do continue to involve your daughter; let her help with supervised feeding and holding of the baby. It's going to take some time for her to adapt to her role as big sister, especially considering how young she is, and that she has just recently graduated from being an infant herself. Joanna Cole has a nice book called "I'm a Big Sister," and I encourage you to seek out other similar books to read to your two year old as well (http://www.amazon.com/Best-Ever-Big-Sister-Karen-Katz/dp/0448439158); Also, be sure to give your 2 year old the chance to be babied every now and then; give her plenty of hugs and kisses, to assure her that although she is a big sister now, she will always be your baby. If there is any additional thoughts that you have, or specific ideas that you need, please message for "earthsister." Thank you.