JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef-
JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef-, Teacher
Experience:  K-12 teacher w/ licenses from NV, FL and OH
66519654

I have a 26w preemies, who is now 20 months non-adjusted. Thank

Customer Question

I have a 26w preemies, who is now 20 months non-adjusted. Thank God, he did really well, and is developing well,running aroung, over 30lbs, very happy and active boy. During evaluation at high risk clinic, he always scores low on receptive language. Last time, he scored as if he were 10 months old. He also does not get shapes yet, and cannot put blocks together himself He refuses to cooperate with those drs there. For instance, at home, when I would tell him "give me" that and that he would do it, but not there. He sceams when he is there and clearly does not want to show everything I see him doing at home. The same for other things. My question is: If someone really has low receptive language scores, does it mean that they will be less intelligent, or they might catch up in time? Are his low scores an early indication of his intelligence and potential problems? He is slowely but surely advancing in that area. Thank you.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- replied 2 years ago.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

The score can only moderately be associated with school age performance. Doctor's are measuring milestones. In a premature baby the score is normally used as an indicator to look for other issues, diet, hearing, sight, physical development. That being said it is an indicator and it shouldn't be ignored. Be aware that your child scored low on receptive language. If he needs early intervention, know that early is the key. In regards XXXXX XXXXX child responding to you and not the doctor's, that may require another opinion to allow your child to be in a more comfortable environment.

The long and short answer is: most studies related to pre-mature babies don't carry on through early childhood and school years. However, studies do show if a child has a development issue, early intervention has the highest impact on school age success. I would be aware of the score, I would think about a second opinion to put your mind at ease, however I wouldn't let it consume you.

I hope this helps, if you need more information on this or anything else, let me know.

Customer:

Thank you. They say that none of his scores are low enough to qualify for any early intervention services, but if at age two we still are concerned to reevaluate. It is also important to say that we are a bilingual house and speak to our child only in our native language for now, as adviced by a speech pathologist. Our son was so irritated when they were testing him that he would not even clap when you say "bravo" and he does that at home all the time. He also pets our cats and anyone else if you tell him to pet he would start to pet their hair...but they gave him a doll there and I told him to pet and he was just staring. He was also screaming when they tried to take him to another room. So, I believe that the evaluation was no accurate and they agreed, but how would I make my child cooperate with them? They are using a tiny windowless room to test where you cannot even place a stroller and I think all those people are scarying him. He scored fine on all other areas. I also have to admit that I was not teaching him staff so far, thinking he is too young. For instance, I do not show him how to do crayons (as he still puts everything in his mounth), and that is also what they were testing.

Customer:

Also, when I try to show him how to stack blocks or anything, he wants to eat them first! Therefore, I always thought he was still not ready...just a feeling I had.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

Langauge development especially receptive language normally spikes for children in the 20-24 month time frame. This means that most of the test will expect a 20 month to perform at a high level. If his non-adjusted age is 20 months, I would expect his scores to be higher in the next 4-6 month time frame.

Customer:

His vision, hearing, physical, all is fine..diet as well!

Customer:

His non=adjusted age is 18 months...(I thought 17LOL)

Customer:

He is very social, cheerful, active...but when we are there to be tested, I cannot even recognize my own child. Would the environment (tiny room, new faces, reminder maybe of the hospitals where he was tested and probed way too many times) have anything to do with that?

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

Absolutely the environment has a large amount to do with it. I would again be aware of it, however don't over think it. If you are looking for strategies, I would make sure that you are talking often to him, doesn't matter what language. The language may also be affecting his score, if he understands something in spanish and is asked in english....

Customer:

Also, he says allo when given a phone, and there he would not even do that...just tried to eat it.

Customer:

I was translating what the doctor was asking him to do

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

This could be confusing to him and affect his score. Mom is asking me and this guy is asking me, who do I pay attention to?

Customer:

So, in the next several months I should be watching for big improvements, or if not, to consult a dr for further evaluation? How long do you think I should wait? He is 21 months, 18 adjusted.

Customer:

We were also told "he had hard time transitioning between tasks"> Not sure what they meant

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

Working of the adjusted age, he should show improvement in the next 4 to 6 months with his recpective language.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

The transistion issue is common in children his age especially if he is in an uncomfortable environment.

Customer:

Thank you.One more thing...he still loves his bottle, and we only give him milk from it, he takes it and is done and we do not let him take it to bed etc...he loves it and makes him happy. They say to get him off of it...do we have to? He is a good eater, and can drink from a grown up cup if given and you help him...but I would like to allow him his bottle for a bit longer. My mom said I was almost three and nothing happened!:)))

Customer:

Old school I kniowLOL

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

From the mommy perspective the bottle is fine. From the physical perspective, some doctor's believe that the bottle can affect the teeth coming in... ie the teeth are pulled do to the sucking motion. This could also have a correlation to the oral fixation that he has with objects. I am on the fence on this one. I have seen conviencing arguements both ways. If you want to replace the bottle, another comfort item, introducing a blanket etc. may help...

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

To be honest, I am up in the air on the advice for this question.

Customer:

Thank you so much for a great service! We appreciate it!

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef-, Teacher
Experience: K-12 teacher w/ licenses from NV, FL and OH