JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef-
JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef-, Teacher
Experience:  K-12 teacher w/ licenses from NV, FL and OH

hw do i get my almost 8yr old to do a math page i want to

hw do i get my almost 8yr old to do a math page i want to do or read books!!!!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- replied 1 year ago.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

I am somewhat confused. Would you like the math question of the already tried question answered?

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

sorry not /or not /of

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

In regards XXXXX XXXXX Math question and the reading question I suggest two seperate answers. In regards XXXXX XXXXX Math, I suggest having your child to make the math into a game as much as possible and make every attempt to make it releveant to her. Find things that she can relate the math to. In regards XXXXX XXXXX reading, the best attempt to find something that she likes. Try comics, novels, newspapers, journals, internet articles etc. Attempt to engage her interests with text. Most adults don't read what they are not interested in unless the are forced to, however we ask children to learn to love reading without engaging their interests.

Customer:

sorry i meant to erase the math reading question!!!!! the question is the already tried question----------its complex i know

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

Ok in regards XXXXX XXXXX health issue I will try my best to offer some words through experience not expertise. Children are very capable of understanding and dealing with very complex issues and she is probably very aware that something is going on already.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

If she is not aware of something going on she will become aware of something very soon. If your current health is good, this may be the time to introduce the topic of the disease.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

To tell your daughter and involve her in the process of living you are teaching her much more then showing her death. (I hope not to offend with this).

Customer:

yeas im healthy i exercise and tons and very active. i was thinking suicide info this year or next year------------before tween yrs come------------and maybe 2 oro 5

years later about hd---------

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

In regards XXXXX XXXXX father, I again would take the approach of living. Share with her the positive qualities that her father had during life. Attempt to guide the conversation towards the positive, however don't lie to her when answering direct question that she asks.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

I think that the conversation will eventually happen naturally, she will want to know about her father and will ask the question.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

I would assume that most of her questions to this point are around what her father was like and not how he died.

Customer:

ought hardest thing in her life would have been my illness---eventually----------thank god takes time over many years. but then husband takes his life and now im left with trying to want protect from all of it

i was gonna not even tell about how he died-------------but im afraid through family or looking stuff on line shell find out by accident and hate me and the world------------do you think a kid can survive both a suice of father-----------and a few years later finding out mom has huntingtons-----------how will i make her strong not to hate the world or turn to drugs to cope

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

Allow her to learn from it, to become stronger. This means involving her it what it is, however if possible don't put the burden of the disease on her. Allow to love you and not hate the disease.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

This is a very tough question. The discussions on how to deal with it may involve counseling now, while you are healthy to build her coping strategies.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

I respect the fact that you don't want a cousin to accidently mention something about her father. If this is a concern, I would start to bring the subject up, however I would approach it in a positive way. By this I mean, talk about her father's memory in front of her and all of the wonderful things he offered the world including 'her' and allow her to lead the conversation into how he died. At that point, I would suggest being prepared to discuss and answer all of the questions she may ask i.e. mental illness.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

If you are prepared in your approach on how you want to guide the conversation and if you are willing to find support if neeeded, I believe children are very capable to handle a great deal. I think it is important to respect their ability to know about the people in their life.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

There are numerous support programs, counselors and other people out there that would be happy and willing to help. I truly believe the important thing is to give your daughter the coping skills sooner rather then later.

Customer:

ts excellent i cant beive talking to a stranger about this!!! you say some great points

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

I personally think that it could be difficult to tell your daughter this information in the tween or teen years as those are the years that they are learning to be indpendent from parents, yet they look for the safety net. If your daughter learns at that point that her safety net is in question, it may not work that well. If she learns sooner and learns that her safety net, although it may look different then what you both think (aunts, uncles, etc. ) it is there and will be there for her.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

I can't imagine how tough this is for you. I believe that people are strong when given a challenge. You are speaking to a complete stranger about this to try and find an answer and that is amazing strength.

Customer:

i agrree----------sooner about suiice because not aware of stigma of it yet-----by time she does see stigma os suicide, she will have time to adjust, accept, greive and anger will come in smaller waves ----

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

Please don't hesitate to allow this question to go to another expert, as I realize this is not my area of expertise. I would be happy to allow someone else to take this question.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

I hope that I have allowed you to communicate with someone else as, I often find that communicating things out loud (chat) I find I had many of the answers myself.

Customer:

i dont want to tell her about my situation-----------but honestly----some moms die of breaast cancer at 30 yr old---im 40 and im almost symptom free------------------and shell be loved by many pepoole------- did a great job for somone not adr or lic therapist so thankyou a thousand times!!!!

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

If you need to chat more or if I can assist in the future, let me know. Every decision regarding you in your right to decide on how and when to share it. I wish you the best with all that you do...

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

/in sp /is

Customer:

happy summer

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef- :

Same to you.

JACUSTOMER-jkqny9ef-, Teacher
Experience: K-12 teacher w/ licenses from NV, FL and OH
That was very nice of you, thank you. Good luck with all that you do now and in the future.