earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

Greetings - looking for the absolute best way to home tutor

Greetings - looking for the absolute best way to home tutor a 5th grader who has a bit of Dyscalculia.

Thanks!

earthsister :

Good afternoon, I would like to work to assist you today.

Customer:

Hi, have you supplied an answer? I have another window open indicating that you are still typing. (grin)

earthsister :

Hello, I'm sorry, pardon the delay. Have you sought out the assistance of an outside tutor as of yet, or is this something that you are looking to do on your own?

Customer:

Yes, and we'll probably do both, but I'm putting together a plan for after school at home. This is what she wants to do also.

earthsister :

I think that it is a great idea to get a tutor for your child. There are resources that help you to seek out a tutor for your child's special needs. One good site that may help you is : http://www.tutortutors.com/default.aspx, they have links to tutors who specialize in various educational areas. You might be able to find a tutor that specializes in working with children with Dyscalculia here.

earthsister :

There are also books that can help you in tutoring your child,. One good book for children who struggle with math is Overcoming Difficulties with Number: Supporting Dyscalculia and Students who Struggle with Math: http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Difficulties-Number-Supporting-Dyscalculia/dp/1848607113

earthsister :

This one comes with a book and an audio CD, and is rated pretty highly by those who have used it with their children and students.

earthsister :

I think that most importantly in helping a child who struggles in any subject, is making the study and learning as fun as possible. It helps to go beyond just using pencil and paper, and working to appeal to all of the child's senses: sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell in order to help them want to learn and be easily able to grasp concepts that are difficult for them.

earthsister :

Be sure to employ a lot of visuals, as children with Dyscalculia commonly have issues with understanding the math language that is used. Using pictures to teach concepts and having her draw pictures to show that she understands these concepts can also help. Games can also be a good way to help your child. This site provides a lot of resources, including games, and links to find tutors in your area, for children who struggle with reading and math: http://mathandreadinghelp.org/kids_games/index.html

Customer:

Thank you.

earthsister :

You are most certainly welcome

earthsister :

If you need any other insight or resources, please do not hesitate to ask.

Hi

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
earthsister