Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience:  14 years in general pediatrics and mother of two great kids!
45319925

i have a question regarding fitness

i have a question regarding fitness
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 2 years ago.

DrFiscusMD :

I'll do my best to try to help you with this issue. If you're available for chat, lets get started. If not, I can switch to e-mail.

DrFiscusMD :

Hi! How can I help?

Customer:

hello doctor. i am very familiar with fitness and how the body works. my question is can i exercise my abdominals every day and get results, or do i need a day of recovery in between.and would the same apply to calf or trapezius muscles also?

DrFiscusMD :

In general its best to rest muscle groups for a day. As you work out you actually disturb the muscle fibers and taking a day for that to repair itself it likely best.

Customer:

i have heard of people only drinking water instead of soft drinks and the like, and they were able to lose large amounts of weight in a short period of time! is this a safe approach to dieting? i would think you would need calcium also?

DrFiscusMD :

I'm not sure I understand your question. Water is always preferable to soft drinks, etc. Calories consumed in soft drinks add to the calories stored by the body and weight gain so, yes, eliminating the calories found in soft drinks is helpful in dieting. However, the claim that "large amounts of weight" would be lost is false as weight loss depends on total calories in vs. total calories out. 1lb of fat is equivalent to 3500 calories, so one needs to consume 3500 calories less than one needs in order to lose one pound. For example, if a person consumes calories and generally their weight is steady then taking in 500 cals/day less would generally result in a 1lb loss per week. Yes, calcium is important and should be taken through the diet or supplements in adequate amounts. Does that answer your question?

Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience: 14 years in general pediatrics and mother of two great kids!