Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Our 21 yo daughter got married in October 1 week before our

Our 21 yo daughter got married in October 1 week before our grand-daughter was born. She went back to work 2.5 weeks after the baby was born. Dr's say she doesn't have depression nor post-partum depression. But, she has changed in behavior. Very sensitive to mom, g'mas and aunts. Left her hubby after only 6 months. They are still "working" on the problems and seeing a counselor. However, after making a comment about the seperation, she kept the baby away from my hubby and I (g'pa and G'ma), for 3 months. Just saw them for the first time a week ago and the dinner/visit went very well. She doesn't want anyone to know of their circumstances and is very sensitive on the subject, however still places comments on the ever popular FB. We are at our wits end. We are a very family oriented family and she's choosing to live w/ a g'friend who has 2 kids and who is also going through marital problems. Very different that our daughter is now seeming to be going through an independant stage after relying on family heavily through the pregnancy. Any advise would help a lot. Thank you, Renee
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about your situation. What you depict here seems very painful, sad and frustrating for you as parents and grandparents, specially because of the time in your

lives when all these dramatic changes started.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Pregnancies could and do deeply impact a person's life, from hormonal and metabolic changes, to psychological and emotional ones. Whole life styles could change because of them. It is not uncommon to see how the mother's personality could significantly change during pregnancy. Some times such changes stay until childbirth, while other times some of them could remain for longer.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Marital problems before and during pregnancy could play a key role on transformations you reported here. it seems the context for this marriage was not he best one for her, where pregnancy and marriage became triggers for these deep changes to develop. It is very sad but necessary to come to terms with the fact that there is not much we could do as parents about our adult children and grandchildren. There are independent adults, who have total control of their choices and actions, and no matter how hard we try, if they are not open to share and to consider you as more active important presences in their lives, you can only respect her boundaries, limits and focus on what depends on you to promote further openness and intimacy, but always it would be limited to what she allows.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It's obvious you do not deserve nor expected any of these changes and distance to happen between you and your daughter and her baby, but it is necessary to accept it , understanding that she is facing her own personal and marital issues, that she is going through a real life crisis, and being this young, even maturing and developing essential skills she needs to better understand herself as an adult, so to be clear about herself, what she truly wants from life. It could seem very dysfunctional but it is the process she is experiencing and avoiding, repressing or denying it would not help. Better for her to lean from experience, while receiving healthy and assertive affection and the support you could

offer and she is willing to take.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You are grieving your daughter and the relationship you had before, so please be unconditionally gentle, understanding, supportive and compassionate towards yourself, for you to be able to cope with it, the same as your husband, so to take good care of yourselves, allowing you to be in the best possible shape to wisely share and support her too.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Does it make sense?

Customer:

Absolutely, it makes complete sense. Thank you.

Rafael M.T.Therapist, Family Counselor
Experience: MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
You're very welcome. Please take gentle care, consistent action nd feel free to contact me for any further support.