earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

My 15 month old son is very communicative. He has a number

Customer Question

My 15 month old son is very communicative. He has a number of words now and regularly uses the signs for milk and more. However, now that he's realized the power of the "milk" sign, he's using it much more frequently than I'd like! I find myself telling him no, he cannot have milk. However, when he hears me say no, he immediately tries to hit me. How do I set a nursing/bottle feeding routine with him PLUS teach him not to hit people?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.

earthsister :

Hello, I would like to help you this evening.

Customer:

thank you

earthsister :

This sounds like an all too familiar issue with me. I have twin breast fed 1 and a half year olds, and boy am I ready to stop nursing.

Customer:

I would like him to learn that we can nurse in the early morning and right before bedtime.

Customer:

Wow!

earthsister :

Yes maa'm

Customer:

I'm worried about the hitting part. He puts his little hands in a fist and hits me!

earthsister :

Well, I'm going to be honest with you, weening him from breast is not going to come without tears. How often does he nurse now?

Customer:

He will also do this at the dining table when I don't give him something he wants (like a mug of hot tea). He'll realize he's not getting what he wants and then will hit the table in frustration.

Customer:

He was nursing in the morning and at night. Then he started biting and I thought he was going to self wean at 13 / 14 months. Then he started trying to nurse again PLUS he figured out how to sign for milk. So in the last couple of weeks I've been allowing him to nurse basically when he asks for it. I work out of the home all day and his nanny gives him bottles for his naptime. But I am still nursing on demand when I'm home.

earthsister :

Since your son is beginning to learn communication, continue telling him that hitting is not good. Tell him "no hit" and don't give in to his milk demands. When he is not able to get what he wants, offer him an alternative; a sippy cup or bottle, a favorite toy or book, or try to distract his attention with a song or game.With my twins, distractions work, but what really helps is when their father or brothers are around to take them away when they start demanding milk.

earthsister :

If you do have someone else around during these times, try to pass the care of him on to them at that moment, this will allow you to escape the milk demands, and for him to learn how to cope without it. And again, trust me, I know hearing the cries and moans for milk are difficult, but you have to be strong and not give in.

Customer:

ok thank you. Any other suggestions for the hitting part? I feel like I've told him no so many times. But I guess it just takes a while to sink in?

earthsister :

Babies at his age will experiment with hitting. You have to keep calmly telling him no, and redirecting his behavior to something acceptable. When he does behave well and does not hit, encourage that by telling him how good he is being, give him a hug, and praise.

Customer:

ok thank you!

earthsister, Parent
Experience: Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.