earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

how do i potty train my 2 year old? I have a 6week old and

how do i potty train my 2 year old?
I have a 6week old and I was hoping I could put off her potty training a little longer until I get my little boy in a routine but shes starting to pull off her nappies dont fit her anymore, she sometimes says if shes done a poopoo but sometimes she lies and runs away.

What is the best and quickest way to potty train her? we have a potty ready.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.

earthsister :

Good morning, I would like to assist you today.

Customer:

hey, how do i potty train my 2 year old when i also have to look after my 6wk old?

earthsister :

It sounds like you definitely have your hands full.

Customer:

earthsister :

It first helps to hold conversations with your 2 year old about using the potty. Let her know that this is how big girls and boys go to the bathroom, and now that she is a big sister, she is ready to use the potty herself. Keep putting her on the potty around the times where she may have to go. Sit there with her, while you hold the baby of chorus, and encourage her.

earthsister :

You may want to use an aid, such as a book that helps teach toddlers about using the bathroom, Two of my personal favorites are "Potty Time With Elmo," and "Potty Time with Abby."; Both Sesame Street books, that have buttons and sounds, real fun. My 2 year old twins aren't on the potty yet, but they love these two books, and we will definitely use them during the potty times that are soon to come.

earthsister :

Let her sit on the potty, as you read to her, sing songs or play games, for about 5 minutes. If nothing happens, just say, "That's ok, we'll try again later, good girl."

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX i know face is knowing when she needs to go. She can only just about understand me when i ask if shes already been in her nappy. Ive heard she should keep her nappy off and i should keep the potty around the house and keep asking her etc, she can barely talk in sentences yet

earthsister :

No problem. I wouldn't suggest to keep her diaper or training pants off, I would suggest getting some form of pull-up training pant (maybe this is what you mean by "nappy." And teach her how to pull them on and off strictly for potty time.

earthsister :

Make it a habit to sit her on the potty at least 10-15 minutes after she's eaten or drinks something, Also, take special note to her bathroom patterns, when are the times that she seems to go most; the early morning is a definite for most children.

earthsister :

Overall, try to make your daughter's potty training as fun as possible. Remain calm, even during mistakes; and don't punish her for bathroom mistakes. Just encourage her to do it right the next time. Potty training can be one of the most difficult parts of raising a toddler. Be patient, and persistent, and your daughter will be a potty trained pro in no time.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX just distract her until shes done something in the potty and when she does i can praise her and she can learn that way?

do i take her into the bathroom with me or does that come later on?

earthsister :

Yes, I would call that a form of distraction; you are absolutely right. Do you mean take her in when you use the bathroom, or supervise her in the bathroom?

Customer:

so i should keep her in pull up nappies (im from england and thats what diapers are called) and tell her to pull them down when she needs to go and sit on the potty?

Customer:

take her in when i use the bathroom? or should i leave that until she is using the toilet?

earthsister :

definitely, that's what I did with my sons (teach them to pull the "nappies" up and down; and pardon me, my twins are not yet 2, they are 1 and a half next month.

Customer:

that sounds so much easier than i imagined, i was thinking all sorts of crazy things lol.

earthsister :

I wouldn't necessarily take her when you use the bathroom, but as long as you are alone in thew house with the children, or not worried about anyone walking in, I recommend that you leave the door open,

earthsister :

pardon the typo, "in the house"

earthsister :

Well it's not the easiest thing, the hard part is being patient, and keeping with it

Customer:

wow theyre potty trained at 18months? ella's 2 and 3 months. I will start her on the potty as of when i buy the pull ups. Ok I'll do that. Thank you so much.

Customer:

sorry this chat keeps messing up on me.

earthsister :

No maam, my twins aren't on the potty yet, sorry for the misunderstanding, my boys, who are now 11 and 12 years old is who I have trained successfully: My twins will be two monsters of their own, but they love those Sesame Street books I mentioned; I really think its going to help when its time.

Customer:

Im also having problems with her tantrums.

I try to talk to her, I try ignoring her and walking away and of course ive tried telling her off. I dont know which way is the right way

earthsister :

Ok, you must be the customer that I have in the other chat as well

earthsister :

If you do feel that I have provided a helpful answer to this query, You can rate this answer, and I will meet you in the other chat to address your daughter's tantrums. If you need more insight on this question, please let me know before you rate, so that I may work to provide you with excellent service.

Customer:
Customer:

my chat doesnt work well can you email instead

Customer:
earthsister, Parent
Experience: Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.