Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

Hi, I have a daughter who just turned 2 years old. She was

I have a daughter who just turned 2 years old. She was a month premature and had some health problems when she was first born, but has since developed normally and is doing great. However, she started biting at her day care a couple months ago. It seems like every 2 weeks or so she will bite someone (I don't know if it's the same child that she bites or not). We've never seen her do this at home or in public, although she has been having more tantrums and is very difficult at times. Her pediatrician seemed to think the biting wasn't a big deal at her age and said it's common. However, day care has consulted with us twice about it and even had us come to a meeting about it with the head boss. They felt like they could control it, but needed to follow the handbook policy. We had this meeting 2 weeks ago, and tonite when I got her, there was a note saying she bit again. I haven't seen her bite, but she will occasionally swat me or her father at home if she doesn't get her way. How worried/concerned should I be about this? We do time outs at daycare and at home, but is there anything else we can do? We try to talk to her about anger and different ways to express it, but I'm afraid her 24-month-old mind isn't comprehending any advice we give. She otherwise seems to be talking and developing normally; the only thing we've all noted is that she can be extremely shy at times, but warms up around people she knows. What do you suggest?? We are very exhausted and frustrated with it! Thank you.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families. I am also a mom of Twins.

CoachJenK :

You are doing a great job and I am glad she is doing well. In fact this biting stage is also normal for her age and development.

CoachJenK :

As adults we look at this behavior as horrifying, but this is how children express themselves because they do not have the skills or the language to express the frustrations that they are feeling.

CoachJenK :

The daycare gets a bit upset about it and they all do because they have to tell the other parent that it has happened, but truly this is normal.

CoachJenK :

You are very right in that she cannot grasp what she has done or even express her feelings differently. Imagine not having full language or the emotional coping skills to deal with the heave duty emotions that two year olds feel, so they bit as they have no other way to release.

CoachJenK :

I am with your pediatrician in their thinking.

CoachJenK :

One thing you may do is to keep it simple. "biting hurts and can give a big owee."

CoachJenK :

you may also set up a reward system and have her help you create a no biting chart...paint it color it and each day she doesnt bite in school she gets a sticker and give her that gentle reminder each day before she enters.

CoachJenK :

How does this sound?

Customer:

I think it is such an impulse for her that it happens without her realizing it, because as soon as she bites she puts her head down like she's ashamed. I think she knows it's wrong, but she won't quit doing it. If they gave her a time out in daycare already, should I give another one when we get home?

CoachJenK :

absolutely not....if there is a delay like that she has no idea why she is getting a time out.

CoachJenK :

and because this is impulse driven the time outs may not even be helpful...she knows it isnt right but cant control it....that is exactly the point. The gentle reminders of biting hurts will eventually help her as will just growing out of this.

Customer:

It's hard to know when to give time outs and when not to, sometimes I think she's a little tired or hungry and acts out pretty badly. But if she's tired, do we just ignore the tantrums?

CoachJenK :

right on.

CoachJenK :

dont engage, walk away from it as long as she is safe. The more attention you give it the more she learns that her behavior is being responded to.

CoachJenK :

if you only engage when she is calm then she learns that is when she gets responded to.

Customer:

We just feel terrible for the kids being bit and are scared the parents are going to start finding out who's doing the biting and get upset (we live in a smaller community where everyon knows each other). I know in my heart it's an impulse that she can't really help, but I'm scared we will get into more trouble with her daycare

CoachJenK :

if she tantrums and you engage and scream then she gets the negative attention which is attention and she loves it no matter what.

CoachJenK :

I understand. Most schools have a policy that they are not allowed to tell the other parents who did the biting for the exact reason you are fearful about.

CoachJenK :

It is a phase and one that many many children go through. Trust me your child is not the first the daycare has had to deal with on thie biting issue.

Customer:

Thank you for your help... I'm feeling a little better about it

CoachJenK :

when she swats at you...you say simply but firmly...no hitting, hitting hurts. we have a loving home.

CoachJenK :

it is my pleasure. come to me anytime for more support. I am here to help.

CoachJenK :

please take a moment to click on the rating tab to offer a rating of my work.

Customer:
CoachJenK :

please let me know if I can support you further, if not a positive rating from you allows me to get credit from my work.

CoachJenK :

you will receive a copy of this once you complete that.

CoachJenK :

Are you still with me?

CoachJenK :

Here is a great link to look at. http://www.ok.gov/health/documents/BITING%20IN%20THE%20TODDLER%20YEARS%20rev.pdf

Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.