earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

What do you do when you realise that your parents dont love

What do you do when you realise that your parents don't love you any more? I am 50 and they are both in their 80s now.

earthsister :

Good evening, I would like to provide insight into your query. Why is it that you say your parents don't love you anymore?

earthsister :

I first want to let you know that I do sympathize with your concerns. I do question, however why you say that, because if you have had no idea for 50 years, I am curious how this observation was able to come about now all of a sudden. Your parents may be behaving differently, or even saying things that would lead you to a conclusion that they do not love you as a result of their aging; emotions and emotional responses are effected by age. Maybe your parent's struggle is in being able to show you that they love you now, where when you were younger, it may have been easier. Now as an adult of 50, you have been through a wealth of experiences, as have your parents: I am sure that you all have your own opinions of what showing that you love someone means. I recommend that you talk openly to your parents about your concern, and ask them if they feel a lack of love for you, and why. Tell them the reasons that you feel this way, and most importantly, recommend to them that the three of you attend family counseling with a professional therapist to serve as a third party in helping you all asses the problems in your parent/child relationship. If your parents have been there for you for 50 years, don't lose hope that they love you, because for them to have supported you for this long shows that the love is there; now you just have to figure out where (if anywhere) it needs to be strengthened and improved. I do hope that this answer serves as a start in helping you resolve your query. I do aim to provide excellent service, so if you feel that my answer is not satisfactory, please refrain from providing this answer a rating, and instead message me below with your response so that I may help provide an answer that meets your satisfaction.Thanks.