KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

We have a 12 year old son. He got physical with my husband

We have a 12 year old son. He got physical with my husband last night while he was trying to discipline him. He was being disrespectful and would not stop mouthing off. We took everything away from him. we are going on a trip and my husband does not think he should go with the family. What should we do?

KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : It is not uncommon for children of your son's age to escalate things to an unfortunate level.
KansasTherapist : Has you son calmed down since last night?

KansasTherapist : Do you think he could take responsibility for his behavior and apologize?

he has somewhat aplolgized. but followed it up with "i dont know what i did wrong" but he knows

KansasTherapist : Yes, I'm sure he knows. It is so hard for them to admit thr mistakes.
KansasTherapist : Pehaps he could say what he would do next time to keep things from getting out of hand.

Ok, but he never takes responsibility for his actions. It is always someone else fault

KansasTherapist : That is so typical of his age. My son is 17 and he is just beginning to take responsibility.

Not sure we will survive the next 5 years lol. So to my question....should he come on the trip with us?

KansasTherapist : I would take him. You should ask him to come up with a plan of what he will do if he gets upset on the trip, like take a self timeout, or listen to music, etc.

ok. thanks you were helpful.

KansasTherapist : You're welcom. I hope you have a good trip.