professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare

Hi There, has there been any research done about the value

Hi There, has there been any research done about the value of the kids staying in their home with one of the parents after the seperation vs moving into 2 new homes?

Trying to make the best call.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? Hi, I am not aware of any research done on this subject but have had experience of this situation within a nannying position.
professional_Alison : Any separation of parents can cause distress as disruption but if the child can remain in their own home with one of the parents it will cause less upset than moving them into two new homes where they have no set base.
professional_Alison : It is of course important for a child to have contact with both parents but which ever parent has custody should have the base home.
professional_Alison : What age is the child here please?
professional_Alison : Always encourage a set routine with parental visits for example Monday to Friday with mummy and Saturday overnight to Sunday with daddy. Children need to understand that just because
professional_Alison : Mummy and daddy don't live together anore that doesn't mean they love them any differently.
professional_Alison : Keep all discussions of the other parent positive and upbeat. If the child says at any point they don't want to go to daddys for the weekend, gently encourage with lots of talk about what a nice time they will have and what they will do. Keep the communication with the other parent going if only to discuss the child. That is your common ground where you will both want what is best.
professional_Alison :

There are also some very good books about parental separation and divorce depending on the age of the child on Amazon. If you have concerns about your child dealing with your separation it may be beneficial to get them an appointment with a councellor.

professional_Alison :

This is an article I found about children living in two homes

Thank you, do let me know if I can assist you further. Just put professional_alison at the beginning of your question.