Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years in general pediatrics and mother of two great kids!
45319925

is it advisable that we buy a play yard for our coming new

is it advisable that we buy a play yard for our coming new born boy instead of a crib? what are the pros and cons. Also is it advisable that we get a play yard of crib that is NOT made out of wood. any recommendations on which play yard or crib to buy?

DrFiscusMD :

I'll do my best to try to help you with this issue. If you're available for chat, lets get started. If not, I can switch to e-mail.

DrFiscusMD :

I'm a pediatrician and a parent, so the opinion I'll give you is based on both parenting experience and caring for children for the past 15 years.

DrFiscusMD :

I would not recommend a play yard INSTEAD of a crib. You'll need the crib for far longer than you will use the play yard.

DrFiscusMD :

If its a choice between the two I would definitely recommend the crib over the play yard.

DrFiscusMD :

As far as the make of the crib, wood is fine but make sure it is well finished as some children will teethe on the railings and you wouldn't want the wood to splinter or the paint/varnish to come off easily.

DrFiscusMD :

Any new crib would be fine. You do want to be careful about getting a second-hand crib as the safety recommendations change fairly frequently.

DrFiscusMD :

I hope this information is helpful! If I've left anything unanswered be sure to reply to me. If you are satisfied with the information that I've provided kindly leave a positive rating prior to leaving the site.

Customer:

how long will we use the crib vs the play yard. we are also thinking of a portable one that we can use as both permanent and for travel. what do you think. yes, lets switch to email. our email [email protected]

DrFiscusMD :

I can't use your personal e-mail address. The site won't allow it.

DrFiscusMD :

I can just switch out of this chat and e-mail you through the site.

Customer:

ok. what did mean by email earlier

DrFiscusMD :

You'll likely use the crib until close to age 2. Most babies outgrow the play yard in the first 18 months or so as they're not as bid.

Customer:

I guess the site will send me an email after you reply

DrFiscusMD :

There's an e-mail format through this site that I can switch to so we would no longer chat live. I can switch to that if you'd like. The site would send you an e-mail. I can't do it from my personal email to yours.

Customer:

I guess we can just talk now

Whichever crib you choose you'll want to be sure it will fit the length of your baby for at least 2 years. Also keep in mind that the mattresses in the portable cribs and play yards don't provide much support for the baby's body while sleeping and may not be as comfortable once the baby gets bigger. You'll want to check on-line ratings and reviews on any model you choose.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, I understand. can you recommend a good crib and play yard. and include a professional review.
Consumer Reports rates the Charleston Convertible crib by Graco highly ($190) as well as the Palisades Lifetime crib by Europa Baby($350). They also like the Cosco Funsport Travel Play Yard ($45) which might be a good thing to purchase for when you travel and allow you to spend more on a nice crib for your home.