earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

My daughters father left America when before she was born

Customer Question

My daughter's father left America when before she was born and has only visited her three times in 9 years. I am a busy executive who loves her to death but have to travel for work. What should I do about her craving more attention? I give her as much attention and interaction as I can on my off time and rarely do anything without her except for work. She gets upset when I go to work in the summer or take a business call at home.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 2 years ago.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? It is very difficult balancing work and children and you are right that they do demand a lot of time and attention. You are right to talk to her about the fact that you have to work to provide for her. It's not always easy for children to understand but it is a fact of life. You sound like a devoted
professional_Alison : Mother who gives as much time as you can to your daughter. Are there grandparents on the scene who could help on caring for your daughter on the holidays etc. I think you are doing everything right. Perhaps introduce the idea that one day of the weekend is a mummy and daughter day where within reason she can choose what she wants to do with you. The other day is a jobs day where you do bits that need doing together. Perhaps on that day she could have a friend over occasionally so she is entertained and you can get on with a few bits. I hope this helps. Do come back to me if I can assist you further.
Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, I would like to provide some insight this morning. During the summer, of course children are out of school, and are not involved generally in everyday activities that help to keep their bodies and minds stimulated. It may help;p to find some kind of summer or extra-curricular programs in your community that your daughter may enjoy. Does she dance, sing, draw, play sports? Research your community to find out what kinds of programs and activities are available that your daughter may be interested in, and sign her up. Definitely talk to your daughter and ask her what kind of activities she may prefer getting involved in, and give her the opportunity to choose.

It also may help when you are around the house, talking business calls, that you find some way that she can help with your work, or at least make it seem as though she is. Give her a stack of papers that may need to be organized or stapled, give her the job of labeling files, or something of that nature. Encourage your daughter to help with your work during these times at home, and perhaps this will help her to feel included in what you are doing, and complain less about attention. If you have any further questions or comments about my answer, please message for "earthsister." Thanks.