professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
65051498

Hi, i am not sure i am asking the rIght expert but here it

Hi, i am not sure i am asking the rIght expert but here it goes: i am planning to go on a holiday in January to Torremolinos Andalucia in Spain with my then almost 3yo son. I am planning to hire a car to go to the zoo and so on. What i am worried about is my child's safety in spain. He is a very active child and most if not all of my attention goes to him. But, i have heard/read that Spain is not very safe when it comes to personal possessions. I know pickpocketing is a great deal. How about children, are they safe to travel with a single mum who doesnt speak spanish? And what could i do to make it as painless and enjoyable experience as possible?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.

earthsister :

Hello, I would like to assist you today.

earthsister :

I have never been to Spain myself, but I have learned a lot about travel in Spain from my grandmother who was an avid traveler, and I myself traveled to Kuwait with my uncle when I was about 12, so maybe not as a young child, but I do know how it feels to be a child in a strange new country. In any new place, it is best to keep your eye and attention completely on your child; stay aware of your surroundings as well, but keep engaged with your son letting him as well as others around you know that you are fully protective of him. Also, don't try to force your son to participate in any activities that he may feel uncomfortable with or just doesn't want to. At the age of 3, this might not be a problem, he may want to do it all, but just in case, remain flexible so that he enjoys himself, and as a result, you do too. From everything that I have heard, Spaniards are family oriented people and love children. You definitely want to be weary of strangers, but I have heard that it's not uncommon for adults to speak to children and be courteous and engaging. Here is a very comprehensive Wiki article that gives some tips on traveling in Spain: http://wikitravel.org/en/Spain

earthsister :

Here as well is a children's guide to activities that may be good for your child in Andalucia: http://www.andaluciatravelguide.com/andalucia-for-kids.html

earthsister :

My goal is to provide quality service. If you do not however feel that I have provided you with a sufficient answer, please message for "earthsister," and I will do all that I can to provide the answer that you need. Thank you.

earthsister, Parent
Experience: Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 2 years ago.
Hello there, may I help you? I would like to add a few pointers to help. You can buy special wrist bands to write a contact number should you and your child become separated. Alternatively you could use a wrist strap so he is joined to you and is of no danger of wandering off. At 3 years old children have very limited understandIng of the world around them but you can emphasise the importance of staying with mummy and always making sure you can see mummy any can see you. You should always take a little extra care in a foreign country as you stayed with your belongings and your children. It's always better to be a little over cautious but don't let this stop you enjoy
Ing a special day out together! Sorry it cut if before I had finished typing. Good luck and enjoy your holiday!
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience: Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you both of you for the advice. Wristbands are a great idea if i somehow made him wear em, but i'll figure it out. But the problem for me at the moment is crime in Spain rather than my son running away from me. I know Madelaine disappeared not far from where i am planning to go. And if you read the statistics it is not very comforting either. I know thieves tend to distract you while the other empties you pockets. I have read about a thief trying to steal a toddler off mothers arms because he couldnt steal her handbag. I am really worried. If they steal my purse or creditcards, well fine, good luck to them but i do not want to be regretting the trip for rest of my life if anything happened to my child. I want to go, because i deserve a holiday away from everyday worries. But i dont want to spend all week in a hotelroom looking out of a window and worrying about my son's safety. As i said before, not because he can cause harm to himself, but because of the other people around him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you still reply to me please. Thanks.
I do understand your concerns, and I can definitely respect them. I think the other professional on this post gave a great suggestion with the id bracelet; there are also temporary tattoos that you could get, but I don't know if I would get that for my children myself. The US Department of State has a page dedicated to informing US residence of ways to stay safe abroad: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html#safe_trip

Here as well is their number, the first of which you can use to call them within the United States, and the other number for outside of the US
From within the U.S. 1-888-407-4747
From outside the U.S. 1-202-501-4444

I would recommend that you contact them for any additional help or resources regarding traveling abroad with children. I think that Spain is a great place to travel, full of history and culture, yet at the same time I completely understand where you are coming from in your concerns. Let me know if you need anything else.
I completely understand your concern and I think as long as you are aware of potential dangers and risks which you clearly are, you will be fine, being conscious of surroundings and people is important. Just keep a close eye on your son and stay close together. It is important to remember that cases such as madelaine are extremely rare. Sensible parenting will see you to a safe and enjoyable holiday.
professional_Alison, Child Care