Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent

Is it good for a 5- and 6-year-old boy to have dinner at 5

Is it good for a 5- and 6-year-old boy to have dinner at 5 PM and then start snacking on crackers and candy bars at 8 or 8:30 PM? I am disagreeing with my husband on that. Unfortunately he is the stay at home parent and does dinner at 5 and then I have them at night and they have fits when I deny the snacks. Sometimes they accept fresh fruit, but mostly not. What is your take on this?
As a Dr and a parent, I would never allow my child to have sugary snacks after dinner to an extreme. Crackers are not as much of a concern, depending on the salt content, but I wouldn't recommend the sugar. If the kids are a healthy weight and the snacks are limited, they brush their teeth and are in otherwise good physical and mental condition, it isn't the worst thing in the world to have something minor. I would draw the line with a candy bar, especially not ever more than one.
SO what if they throw fits? You are the parent, they are the kids. Don't stoop to their level and raise your energy to meet theirs. If they want a snack, it has to be what you decide to give them, end of story. Fruit contains a lot of sugar as well, so keep that in mind when deciding which types of fruit to give as well.