earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

Do you have a book or other recommendation for a mother that

Do you have a book or other recommendation for a mother that continually discusses calories and other weight topics with her seven year old daughter? Seems like this is damaging to the child.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 4 years ago.

earthsister :

Good evening, I would like to assist you today.

earthsister :

Is the problem that the child is overweight, or at least her mother thinks she is overweight, and wants the child to loose weight?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Divorce situation. Father and his family have severe obesity issues and she is fearful that her daughter is going to follow given their genetic disposition and unhealthy eating habits. Daughter does return with extra pounds every time she returns from couple days with Dad each week.
One of the best options, if the unhealthy eating is primarily happening at Dad's, is for Mom to speak to Dad about her concerns. This way Mom doesn't have to fight against what happens at Dad's everytime, with unhealthy eating and so on; instead the two should work together to develop a system that is best for their daughter. Making note of what foods they both agree on as being healthy and acceptable for their daughter.
There are several books and articles that can be of help for this issue. Please give me one moment, and I will return with a few titles for you.
Here is a link to the government's Weight Control Information Network:

This link provides many resources for parents who are concerned with their children's weight
Here are a few other links that encourage healthy eating and exercise for children:
I thank you for accepting my answer. I as well want to add that in helping a 7 year old with weight concerns, the responsibility is truly on the parent to provide healthy foods and activities for the child. A seven year old has no control over the foods that they eat and very little control over what activities they are involved in. It would be a good idea for Mom to get involved with her daughter in physical activity; running, biking, skating, dancing, etc. All of these are great ways to stay fit, and are good ways for a mother and daughter to bond as well. The adults in a child's life have to lead by example by their own eating and exercise practices. By the child seeing the adults around her eating healthy and exercising, this shows the child what positive example to follow rather than just telling her abstract ideas. I will also provide a few book titles upon my next post. Thanks again.
Here are a few more links of books that can be of help in managing a child's eating, activity, and weight:

I also recommend that Mom takes her daughter to her pediatrician regularly and discuss any weight issues with him or her. The family's pediatrician should be the best resource to guide Mom towards encouraging her daughter's good eating and weight the right way. If there is any other way that I can be of assistance on this, or another parenting issue, please do not hesitate to message for earthsister. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mom is really involved as suggested and eats healthy with daughter.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Thank you for your help!
No problem, I am glad to have been able to assist you. Have a great day!