proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 12 year old daughter has been playing softball since she

Customer Question

My 12 year old daughter has been playing softball since she was five, lately I notice she has become lazy on the crime and I have asked her numerous times if she still wanted to play and she insists she does. m not sure what to do?r to play because she wants to she is not being forced at all any suggestions.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  JohnMichaels,MS,LPC replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. Please note, this is not therapy, but information. I do hope I can help you though. I have 6 children of my own, 4 of which are very athletic. I really think the best option is to let them learn their own life lessons. Is there any advantage to be gained either way? As far as if there is anything else bothering her, is there any other indications of mood issues? Could this be hormonal
I really am sorry about that. I failed to see originally you were concerned something seemed to be bothering her. Is this bothering her off the field as well? Do you think this could be related to puberty?
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. If there are no mood issues related to puberty after discussing your concerns with your daughter's pediatrician, I would ascertain that your daughter may just be burned out from playing softball since she has been playing already for such a long time. She does not want to mention that she may need a break from softball because she does not want to disappoint you. You and your daughter may have big dreams of great success for your daughter with softball and she does not want those dreams to be derailed especially since many girls can get into college with softball scholarships. Just stay encouraged and give it a little time. If she is not putting forth the effort, a little break may be in order. Let me know if you need further insight.

Have a great day.