earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

my 7yr old daughter daughter was born a big baby 9lb.5oz. she

my 7yr old daughter was born a big baby 9lb.5oz. she is a smart beautiful, talented active little girl. she is the tallest/biggest in her class since nursery school. she has a weight problem, she loves to eat & is always thinking about food. she comes home crying many times that kids in school call her fat. she started making fun of herself calling herself fat. i have explained healthy eating, i have explained kids can be mean. what else can i do so that she doesnt suffer from self esteem issues & a weight problem. for me this is living thru my childhood all over again. because i had the same problem with food weight & mean kids. all my life food & dieting has been an issue with me to even this day. what do you suggest? her 8yr old brother does not have weight issues, but when they fight he throws the fat word & she cries so sadly.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? Children can be very cruel to each other and will pick up on differences in each other, although you can stop there behaviour you can make her school aware of what is going on so the school can deal with the bullies and support your daughter. You are doing the right thing supporting her and encouraging healthy eating. It would be worth visiting the doctor who who refer you to the appropriate area for help and support with her food and eating to help her keep her weight under control.
professional_Alison : As for the making fun of herself this is like a protection to stop other doing to her she is doing it first, you need to explain that is who she is inside that people like and real friends accept yu as you are. Encourage her to stand tall and be proud of who she is!
professional_Alison : You also need to talk with your son about helping his sister out by being kind and encouraging with food and to stick up for her at school if he hears other taunting her. He is her brother and it's an important job for a brother to help his sister out.
professional_Alison : Diet is a way of life and it is about changing how she views food and making her portion sizes controlled and snacks healthy. You are a very caring parent I can see from your question and getting help is the first step to profess for your daughter. Good luck and do let me know if I can assist you further.
professional_Alison : If I have answered your question please rate my answer. Thank you.
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience: Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
Good morning, the best way to help your daughter eat healthy and solve her own weight problem is by being active with her and showing her through your own food preparation and eating habits how to eat healthy. You can tell a child to eat healthy all day, but since she is not the one who buys or prepares the food, she can only eat what is accessible to her. As you mentioned yourself struggling with weight issues as well, now would be a good time to make the commitment yourself as well to begin eating/buying healthy food, and exercising. The best way to teach a child is to lead by example. Be a healthy example for your child through your own food and health choices. Keep fattening and sugary foods to a minimum, and keep them out of the reach all the children. Although her brother has no weight problem, it would be great to get him involved in this healthy eating project as well, so that your daughter does not feel isolated, and is encouraged as well by the unity of the family on this issue. Also, limit the time that your children are sitting in front of the tv or computer. Get out or up yourself and get physically active with the kids; summer is a great time for swimming, biking, roller skating/blading; enjoying the outdoors in many physically active ways. Unlike when you and I were children, there are now many weight control camps, programs, and even schools that cater to the needs of overweight children in helping them to lead healthy lifestyles. Your pediatrician or a counselor at your daughter's school may be able to help you locate some of these such programs. Here is a link that may give you some ideas about any possible programs to help with your daughter weight:
Getting her involved in some club or activity that she likes (dancing, music, art) especially if you can locate a program with other children who suffer for weight problems like her should work wonders for her self-esteem, and keep from making her feel alienated or likely to be teased because she would be around other children like herself. Here is another link that may give you some more ideas of how to help control your daughter's weight and encourage your whole family to get involved:
If you need any clarity on my answer, please message for "earthsister." Thank you.
earthsister, Parent
Experience: Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.