earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

I am a single mother of 4 children & one of my daughters is

I am a single mother of 4 children & one of my daughters is a cutter. I have tried everything I can think of to help her but am having no luck. She doesn't talk to me about her problems but yet blames others for her mistakes. I am looking for any other solutions in how can help her. I'm @ my breaking point & am still trying to provide for my other children. I need help.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.

earthsister :

Hello, I would like to work to assist you this evening.

earthsister :

When you say your daughter is a "cutter", exactly what does that mean?

earthsister :

That's ok, after reading the additional info, I understand just fine.

Customer: It means that she cuts herself...mainly using scissors. She does this when there are bad things or stress in her everyday life.
earthsister :

How long has your daughter been cutting herself?

earthsister :

and how old is she?

Customer: Just over a year I believe.
earthsister :

What particular reason may I ask is she on Prozac?

Customer: I was told that she suffers from a mood disorder & last night @ the hospital they said she suffers from depression.
earthsister :

I am not a doctor nor a therapist of any kind, but as a parent, I would question why the prozac? You saiud she's been on it for 3 years; perhaps it's the prozac that has her responding this way with cutting.

earthsister :

now how old is your daughter?

Customer: I'm having some technical difficulties & can not read your response.
earthsister :

Ok, I switch the chat to Question and answer mode, and see if this helps

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Please do not respond to the above statement asking for a rating, that is an automatic message that pops up. Can you see my typing now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I can see it.
again, how old is your daughter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is 14.
I, as a parent, suggest that you question her doctor about the Prozac; this would be my concern. If your daughter was having no problems with cutting, or other depressing behavior before a year ago; that is something to question in regards XXXXX XXXXX it is happening. It is great that your daughter is in counseling; however with the cutting arising as of late, perhaps you need a second opinion from her physician or her present counselor, on another counseling option that may work best for you at this point and time. I really like this website to use as a therapist search (in case you receive no better recommendations from her physician or counselor). You can search for the therapist of your family's needs by zip code, and do an advanced search to seek out the exact kind of professional that you need based off of your daughter's age and symptoms.
earthsister, Parent
Experience: Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
Thank you for the positive rating; I do have just a few more additional thoughts: Overall, make special effort and time for your daughter. I do understand that you have other children to tend to. With her being 14, she can begin to take on some minor responsibility in helping you with her siblings, if she is not already; this way you can spend time with her, get help with your other children, and teach her valuable responsibility lessons now. Program involvement in activities that she may have interest in; dancing, singing, art, computers; your daughter could really benefit from being physically and mentally active so she doesn't have time to cut herself. A mentor from a boys and girls club, or some similar organization may be of benefit to her as well. Most importantly seek the professional help that will benefit her best. If there is any way that I can assist you further on this or another parenting issue; please message for earthsister. I wish you and your family the best.