earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

I have a 34 yr old daughter who lost her son, my grandson,

I have a 34 yr old daughter who lost her son, my grandson, to suiciide 2 1/2 weeks ago. I understand it will take time and she has to go thru the stages of grief. I just wonder how i'll know if she is tooooo sad. When she needs professional help. She has a strong personality. She has many friend around her now. I want to be proactive. What do I do? We haven't been close, but she listens....

earthsister :

Good morning, I would like to help you today. I first would like to send my deepest condolences to your family. The loss of a child/grandchild can be traumatic enough, but to suicide can be even more so. Be there to listen to her whenever she needs to get her emotions off of her chest. It can be good to offer a grieving person advice, but the best that can be done first is having someone who will listen to them. I would definitely recommend your daughter getting some form of professional help, before her grief turns into something worse. If your daughter regularly sees a physician, perhaps you could suggest that she ask him or her about a therapist or counselor to guide her through this loss. Here as well is a link to, where you can search in your area for a therapist that will aid your family's specific needs.

earthsister :

Be there to help your daughter when you can, with little things like shopping, cleaning, paying bills, and so on. After a loss, these simple things can seem more complex to a grieving individual. There are a number of things to watch for in terms of whether or not she is too sad. Anything that is abnormal for your daughter could signal that; including drug or alcohol use, neglecting hygiene, withdrawing, being unable to enjoy things, etc. Here is a link that may provide a little more in depth look at hoe you can support your daughter through this time in her life:

earthsister :

If there is any other way that I can assist you, or if you feel that I have not sufficiently answered your question, please message for "earthsister". I wish your family the best.

Thank you very much for the positive rating; and for excusing my misspellings. Please don't hesitate to ask for any further help if needed. I am glad to have been of some assistance.