earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

Are 18 mo old boys typically selfish and or physically mean--taking

Are 18 mo old boys typically selfish and or physically mean--taking toys, hitting, etc.?
All toddlers have different characteristics whether they are boys and girls. Some are more selfish than others. 18 month old boys are not typically selfish and mean. It all depends on their individual personalities as well as the way they are trained and disciplined. Children do naturally think everything is theirs most of the time until they are taught, so teaching is very important for them to learn to share.
Good afternoon, I have a different perspective for you. Because your friend's 18 month old is at the stage of learning to move around independently and practice communicating with others, this physical expression may be his way of trying to express something. Temper tantrums between the ages of 1 and 3 are normal for both boys and girls, and is nothing out of the ordinary, and does not necessarily mean that your friend is not teaching him the proper way to behave. Yes, children do learn by example, however they also learn by experimentation, and your friend's 18 month old is experimenting to find out what gets him what he wants; which is generally attention. Your friend should be sure to correct his negative behavior with a "no", calmly of course, and work to redirect the unwanted behavior to something more desirable; for example, if the toddler throws things, tell him no, you cannot throw this, but give him a soft ball that he can throw back and fourth to an adult. Your friend should continue to work with the 18 month old to develop his language skills so that he is able to express what he wants with words or pointing rather than throwing and hitting. I also would recommend that your friend is sure to regularly visit his pediatrician, and discuss any behavioral concerns with him or her, as his physician may be able to diagnose any learning developmental delays that may be a cause of such behavior. Overall, your friend has a happy healthy normal 18 month old boy from what I can tell. You both can buckle up for the ride, because the terrible twos are on the way! Here is an article that may provide some further insight on how to deal with a temper mental toddler: http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/tantrums.html#
If I can assist you in any other way, please do not hesitate to message for "earthsister", I wish you the best.
earthsister, Parent
Experience: Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.