earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

child care

Do caretakers normally discipline children as well and teach them manners? 
How does one train a caretaker in safety? is there a training program one can refer them to /enroll them in etc? 
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 4 years ago.

earthsister :

Good afternoon, I would like to provide you with assistance today.

earthsister :

When you say caretaker, I think of a number of people that this could be; a babysitter, child care provider, teacher, relative, brother, sister, even parents can be seen as being a caretaker. I will assume that for this question you are referencing a baby sitter, child care provider, or a non parents who has the responsibility of caring for a child. With this being the case, discipline by a caretaker is generally determined by the parents of the child and the caretaker. If the caretaker is a child care provider of some kind, I am sure that he or she has rules (as I do with my child care) that children and parents must adhere by to remain in my program. Parents as well are free to express their concerns with discipline, and what they do and do not approve of with their children. This we, both sides get an opportunity to decide whether or not the relationship will work. If you are speaking in regards XXXXX XXXXX caretaker that assumes the whole responsibility of the child, such as being their legal guardian, that adult has the responsibilities of developing their methods for discipline of the child, just as they would with their own child.

earthsister :

Caretakers of all types, including child care providers, baby sitters, guardians, and parents would do best in learning safety by taking CPR and 1st aid certification, or at least training courses for the age group of the children for which they care. Most programs teach both child and adult CPR together. This link to the American Red Cross allows you to search for training courses for caregivers and families by zip code: http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.d8aaecf214c576bf971e4cfe43181aa0/?vgnextoid=bf970c45f663b110VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

earthsister :

This link from the Department of Human Services should as well provide useful resources in finding training programs and information on caring for children: http://michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-5529---,00.html

earthsister :

If there are any other questions that I can help with; or if I have not sufficiently provided you an answer, please message for "earthsister", and I will be more than happy to help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
By caretaker I mean a babysitter /child care provider at home. So what are your rules? Maybe that will give me a sense of what is typical /acceptable?
I have a discipline policy that is about 1 page long. The outline basically expresses my expectations for the children and parents that I serve, as well as explains what parents and families can expect from our program in regards XXXXX XXXXX own discipline. The first section outlines the expectations of the children for which I care, explaining the typical: no biting, hitting, yelling, pushing, throwing things, teasing, etc. It further explains what the punishment will be for each offense, either a verbal correction, call to the parent, age-appropriate time-out separate from the rest of the children where the child is engaged in an individual learning activity, or if the offense is bad enough, or occurs the bad behavior often enough, the child may have to be suspended from my child care program. The policy further explains rewards for continued good behavior, pizza party at the end of the week, extra free time to chose a special activity, or a little prize. The remainder of the policy outlines the expectations of myself as well as my staff; again, no yelling hitting, shaking, grabbing, or physical punishment of any kind. Parents are also given an explanation of when a child may have to be physically restrained (if wild and out of control). Also I would recommend to include that bathroom use will not be used as a reward or punishment, children can go whenever they need to. I put my policy together by researching many other child care policies, and taking the best parts of what fit well for my organization. I definitely suggest this method as being the best for putting together a policy of your own.