earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

I am not a parent yet but I am a god mother to my 12 year old

I am not a parent yet but I am a god mother to my 12 year old niece. What is the best way to fly her to visit me from California to Hawaii to surprise her for her upcoming 13th birthday on 9/1/12? Can she fly with a passport solo?
Good morning, I would like to assist you today. Many airlines do allow a child as young as 5 years old to travel alone on an airplane, including internationally with a passport. Some airlines consider a 12 year old to be a young adult, others set the age higher like at 15. Children who are below the young adult level set by different airlines (as long as not younger than 5) can also fly alone, but require certain unaccompanied minor procedures set by the airlines. Some airlines even require all children 17 or younger to adhere to their unaccompanied minor procedures, so it really depends on the airline that you chose. I would recommend calling the different airlines that you have in mind, and asking exactly what are their procedures for minors traveling with a passport. Here is a pamphlet provided by the US Department of Transportation that outlines many of the requirements of solo flying for minors:

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, thanks very much - I gave you an excellent rating too. Many thx
I am more than happy to have been of assistance. Thank you very much as well. If you need any help again in the future, please message for earthsister. I wish you the best!