Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

Our 20 year old son, in the last 2 months has independently

Our 20 year old son, in the last 2 months has independently decided to move out of our home and move in to his girlfriends house w/her parents. His mother and I are disappointed with his seemingly sudden choice to move out and"be on his own" Additionally, he told us that he wishes attend the college where she will be attending next semester. We are unsure how to advise him at this crossroad, thoughts please?
Unfortunately our children do not always do what we want nor the way we want. However, we can guide them, so you are on the right path. All you can do at this point is honestly let him know how you feel and your concerns for him. Try not to let the exchanges get heated. Do not let your emotions take control of the situation that will just push him further. Communicate with him and let him know that you love and care for him and that you only want the best for him. Give him your advice based on your experience. Tell him to think it over and be sure. He is still young and what would happen if they broke up. Try explaining this to him. I wish you all the best, XXXXX XXXXX it is easier said than done, but just take it one step at a time and stay positive. Being negative and angry toward him will get you the opposite of what you are looking for.