RealSupport
RealSupport, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Hello! I am a step-parent who is also a lesbian. The difficulty

Hello! I am a step-parent who is also a lesbian. The difficulty here is that I am no longer with the kid's biological mother, but we have agreed on a visitation schedule so that I can see them. My son is 14 and headed down a bad road. Though I have been a step-mother for about 9 1/2 years, I need to develop some different parenting skills to teach him things like self-respect, self-esteem, responsibility, etc. How do I learn how to be a new parent? Are there classes I can take or support groups for people in my situation? I want some support but don't know where to go or who to reach out to. Thanks!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  RealSupport replied 4 years ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry you have rated through the system too soon. I am here to answer your question but the system would not allow me to continue since you rated too soon. Let's see if I can provide some guidance here. Since you are in the States, you would be able to find parenting classes locally. You have the following options: Contact your local county mental health and social services department and ask for referrals for such classes. Ask for referral at any local hospital or clinic, including mental health clinics. Also,many adult support centers and colleges offer parenting classes. Finally, you could get this training online, just Google "parenting classes" and you would find many, including "Parenting Wisely, parenting class.net and others. Finally, professional coaching or counseling support would allow you to work on developing and improving necessary parenting and coping skills with an individualized plan. I hope it helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Rafael.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry Rafael, I hit the wrong button.

How do I find professional coaching for parenting?
Hi, it is good he can interact through this means too.

Use this link to find professional coaching specific to your need, specify "parent" as main area, then location, modality, credential and how much you are willing to afford.

http://www.coachfederation.org/clients/crs/search/

Please feel free to communicate with me for any further clarification or guidance.
These is a very useful directory for parenting coaching:

http://www..org/findcoach/